Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Preparing for the Winter

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Preparing for the Winter

Postby JValerio » Sep 07, 2008 1:24 am

I am brand new to gardening. I had started up my garden this year. I have perennials in my flower beds and in containers. Any suggestions on what would need to be done before the first frost? Was it a bad idea to plant perennials in containers? How can I make sure the perennials in the containers would come back next year?
JValerio

Re: Preparing for the Winter

Postby Sheikea » Sep 07, 2008 11:32 am

"waves"Hey there and welcome to the forum fellow garderner.. :)
Sheikea

Postby JValerio » Sep 07, 2008 6:06 pm

Thank you everyone for all your welcomes and advise. It definately helps me decide what I can do with my garden :D I am in Zone 5, Prince George, BC so planting my containers in their own flowerbed would be a great idea! I really do appreciate all your advise and hope in the future I can become more experienced in gardening and provide my own advise to those who started off like me :oops:
JValerio

Postby JValerio » Sep 27, 2008 12:26 am

I am in Zone 5 (Prince George, BC) and I was wondering what I would have to do my in ground perennials in the winter. do I relocate them during the winter or do I trim them? Help from the beginner gardener :oops:
JValerio

Postby JValerio » Sep 28, 2008 4:49 pm

thank you. i had heard relocating them if they are in an area that gets a lot of snow. but i could be wrong. i am in dout of what they are. but i know i have iris and hosta. I guess i can just leave them as is.
JValerio

Return to Container Gardening