Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Lettuce in Containers . . .

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Lettuce in Containers . . .

Postby Laura » Feb 10, 2009 1:02 pm

Has anyone grown Romaine in a container ? I thought I'd try it and wonder if there are any special requirements for growing in a pot.

I am thinking lots of compost and good watering. Fertilizer maybe ?
Laura

Re: Lettuce in Containers . . .

Postby joan w » Feb 11, 2009 8:47 am

I grew some in the same pot as the tomatoes and it did fine, although I think it would have done better without the tomatoes. Sure worth a try.
Image Image
joan w

Postby Laura » Feb 11, 2009 9:01 am

Going to try some veggies in pots this year,I have a small garden and looking for more room.I was thinking of planting a variety in a pot but maybe it is better to do one thing in each.

Laura

Postby joan w » Feb 11, 2009 5:05 pm

Yes, I found that out. I planted 2 cucumber plants in a pot but will only do one per pot this year.
Image Image
joan w

Postby isabelbrinck » Feb 12, 2009 10:24 pm

I'm also interested in growing lettuce in containers this Winter/Spring. If anyone has good, easy-to-follow resources, I would appreciate the tip! :)
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Postby Laura » Feb 17, 2009 2:11 pm

Well I read what I could find on the net and the information is not plentiful for container grown lettuce.All it says it that it suits a container well . . . whatever that means.Anyway I guess start with a good sized pot ( I have a large one that held a seven foot tree ) some good soil,a few seeds or plantlets,water and see what happens.
Laura

Postby Grannygardener » Feb 17, 2009 4:51 pm

I grew Mesculin (sp?) Mix in a large pot in triple mix soil beside my back door. It was great to just step out and snip enough for a salad . Some of it grew back, some spots I just reseeded. Must do that again. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby Lulu » Feb 17, 2009 8:02 pm

I did the mesculin mix in an oblong planter too. Loved the simplicity of just opening the back door to "snip" enough for supper.

I grew it for the first time, the previous year, in the garden, but, I couldn't tell what was plants or what was weeds, so, most of it wasted. At least in the pot, I could "presume" it was mostly lettuce!
Lulu

Postby B_BQ » Feb 17, 2009 8:46 pm

Go for it Laura!
I've been growing lettuce in containers for a few years now, although I've never grown Romaine, just Mesclun, curly leaf, etc. I use the largest pot I have. The containers do need a fair amount of water, but if you put the pot quite close to a door then it's easy to keep an eye on it, and as others have said just keep snipping and the lettuce grows back.
I also grow some potatoes in pots, as well as in my raised beds. I think radishes and carrots would also do well in large pots.
I'll be growing some veggies in my raised beds this year, just to give the beds a rest from potatoes and tomatoes. I shall be growing the pots and toms in large containers.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby isabelbrinck » Feb 17, 2009 9:32 pm

When you guys say "big", what do you mean? Could someone give me a depth measurement, perhaps? :?

Thanks!
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Next

Return to Container Gardening