Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Lettuce in Containers . . .

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Re: Lettuce in Containers . . .

Postby B_BQ » Feb 17, 2009 11:28 pm

isabelbrinck wrote:When you guys say "big", what do you mean? Could someone give me a depth measurement, perhaps? :?

Thanks!

I would say at least 12-16 inches deep and the same across for larger veggies, e.g. carrots, toms, cukes, and even larger and deeper for potatoes. You certainly would not need that depth for lettuce though.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Laura » Feb 18, 2009 8:12 am

The pots I have are 14 inches wide and 12 inches tall,I think this is okay for romaine lettuce,or something with shallow roots.

Laura

Postby Grannygardener » Feb 18, 2009 11:20 am

When growing shallow rooted veggies in pots I use a filler in the bottom of the pot first. I save my cleaned styrofoam trays fom meats and whatever and break them up into the pots and then top up with soil.Great for drainage.Because they don't disintegrate, in the fall I just remove the soil to the compost or toss on the gardens and the pots are ready for use in the spring. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby Lizcordysmum » Feb 28, 2009 10:52 pm

first year, I filled one of those flats you put your starter pots in...with garden soil, and I scattered three kinds of lettuce seeds...including mesclun. Everything grew very well and lots more harvest than I could get to.

A friend always plants ice cream buckets /berry buckets with garden soil, and about three lettuce varieties...chicken poop for food. They grow all summer on my back porch, always ready for picking.

So, take a look at an ice cream pail, white, with handle, at your grocery store...about half the size of a scrub bucket, a rubbermaid pail for floor washing. Lettuce does not put down long long roots. Absolutely super for a balcony grower...so many varieties of lettuce out there.

Potatoes will grow in car tires, filled to the brim...you won't harvest thousands of pounds, but you will get something edible!

Carrots, depending upon variety, like deep sandy soil. Radishes, spinach, like chilly weather...do them early, wherever you are. These pails will work, unless you want to sell your crop!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Previous

Return to Container Gardening