Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Planted three begonias...

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Planted three begonias...

Postby Lizcordysmum » Feb 28, 2009 10:58 pm

I like the big, and hanging begonias for baskets. One, I have carried thru now for six years...the tuber is approx 7 inches across and thick as a big fat jelly donut. it is covered with blossoms about five inches across..."Champagne"

So the first thing that has happened this year, is that I have got major mildew/mold problems with the biggie...I sprinkled cinnamon on the soil, after picking out all the white mould I could find...I moved the basket in front of a window and opened it to the cold air...I live in zone 7a-8b, so beware...you should use a FAN, not cold arctic air.

The other two that I planted...one sits and does nothing, the other has a tiny little pinkish nubbin. Each of these two are maybe the size of a Twooney.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Re: Planted three begonias...

Postby joan w » Mar 22, 2009 9:32 am

I find that the begonia tubers can be unpredictable. I have 5 on the go right now and 3 have sprouted, 1 has roots so it should sprout soon, and the 5th one isn't doing anything, not even any roots. I shall persevere though.
Image Image
joan w

Re: Planted three begonias...

Postby Lizcordysmum » Apr 26, 2009 12:16 pm

Three out of three are growing really well, Joan...Champagne has beginning flowers already. How are yours doing?
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Return to Container Gardening