Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Topsy Turvery Anyone?

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Topsy Turvery Anyone?

Postby cherylr » Mar 05, 2009 12:02 pm

This past Christmas I bought my parents the topsy turvery hanging baskets from Vesey's. I kept one for myself. Since I am new to this has anyone ever used them and how do they work? Where is the best place to hang them? What other plants have you planted in them other then tomatoes and I think you can plant cucumbers in them too? Sorry for all the questions but I like to hear real life stories on these kinds of things. Thanks
Cheryl
Eastern ON ~ zone 4a
cherylr

Re: Topsy Turvery Anyone?

Postby Smitty » Mar 05, 2009 3:52 pm

I'm interested to hear peoples thoughts on these too. on my wish list.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Eeyore » Mar 05, 2009 7:04 pm

We had quite a discussion about these a couple of years back. I'm not sure if anyone has actually tried them or has first had experince with them but as Kat pointed out then, plants have a tendency to grow UPWARDS so putting them in the topsy turvey container won't encourage them to grow downwards, all the branch tips will try to go up. I found that this was the case with Sweetpeas that I tried to grow in a hanging basket last year. It just didn't wok all that well.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby cherylr » Mar 05, 2009 7:19 pm

You know I never thought of that. Naturally plants want to grow upward. Well I guess I will be the one that will be experimenting this summer. Lets hope it was money well spent. :wink:
Cheryl
Eastern ON ~ zone 4a
cherylr

Postby Smitty » Mar 05, 2009 7:36 pm

and let us know how they worked please
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty

Postby Lizcordysmum » Mar 15, 2009 9:10 pm

I bought one Topsy Turvy too, for the first time this year...will give it a try.

I too wonder about "plants grow UP"
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Smitty » Mar 16, 2009 9:13 am

was just chatting with a nieghbor lady who had one of these in her back yard last summer and she said it worked great! the tommytoes did pull up a bit for the sun but all in all she had beautiful tomatoes. does this topsy turvy one have a resevoir in it like the one at Vesey's??
Smitty

Postby Lizcordysmum » Mar 16, 2009 3:06 pm

I can't see anything that says so on the box...and I haven't opened the box yet!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Smitty » Mar 17, 2009 10:55 am

think I will pick up a couple from T&T Seeds this spring..saw them on their website. same as Vesey's but a bit cheaper and no shipping charges just a trip to the nursery :)
Smitty

Postby cherylr » Mar 17, 2009 1:49 pm

Looks like we are going to have a lot of different experiences this summer. I hope the results are all the same. Looking forward to seeing eveyones results. :D
Cheryl
Eastern ON ~ zone 4a
cherylr

Next

Return to Container Gardening