Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Help on Growing Bulbs on Balconies

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Help on Growing Bulbs on Balconies

Postby tweiss » Mar 24, 2009 5:35 pm

Hi,
For several years I have been pot planting bulbs on my balcony in the fall, only to discover at Spring time that they have rotted away during winter. I live on a 10th floor.
Toronto Zone 4.
Can anyone give me some advice as how to successfuly grow tulips, daffodiles etc. and/ or what is the best type of hardy bulbs I can buy for spring or even fall blooms.
tweiss

Re: Help on Growing Bulbs on Balconies

Postby Laura » Mar 25, 2009 7:16 am

I read once that when you live "up" you need to plant for a colder zone than the one you are in..

I wonder if your bulbs need more protection,this could be a bigger pot with more soil,or insulation in the pots.

Maybe you should be forcing bulbs instead of planting them up to keep outside all winter.

Since I don't know a lot about bulbs this is just a few things I read .

Good luck.
Laura

Postby Eeyore » Mar 25, 2009 11:01 am

I would suggest that you dig the bulbs up, clean them and store them in some peat in the refrigerator for the winter.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Laura » Mar 25, 2009 2:24 pm

If you want to plant pots of bulbs when should you plant them up for outside . . . after the winter storage of course.

Tulips in pots would be so nice I'm thinkin . . . .Could this only be done inside ?

I don't know a lot about bulbs so sorry for the dumb questions . . . :? but Tweiss got me thinking about it now . . . :wink:
Laura

Postby tweiss » Mar 26, 2009 10:42 am

Thank you for all that replied back.

I have tried forcing bulbs many years ago. However that didn't work too well. Maybe the Bulbs were not the FORCED kind?? If I remember correctly forcing is by way of storing bulbs in the refrigerator aprox 2 -3 weeks in March and then planting them, (in my case) in a pot once the weather is warm/er. Say April??
I have also tried storing bulbs in their own soil inside a paper bag indoors during summer.
I put them in a cabinet, but found out in the fall that they shrivelled up??
However I thank all of you with your suggestions. I am not giving up yet. :roll:
tweiss

Return to Container Gardening