Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Growing herbs on the balcony

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Growing herbs on the balcony

Postby Monica16 » Mar 30, 2009 2:44 pm

Last year I started a little herb garden on my balcony. I had rosemary, thyme, basil, mint and chives, plus lovage - I absolutely love it in soups and it's impossible to find fresh in Canada (if you know a place, PLEEASE let me know). The problem is, I kept all my containers outside during the winter and don't know if the plants have survived. Any idea what I should do this year? I'm not gardening savvy at all, so I really need guidance and advice.
Monica16

Re: Growing herbs on the balcony

Postby B_BQ » Apr 11, 2009 1:01 pm

Hi Monica:
I also used to grow herbs in pots on a balcony outside my kitchen. None ever over-wintered, and I treated them all as annuals, even those which, if planted in the ground, would be perennial. I also used to grow lettuce in a pot. Have you thought of a large pot with a patio tomato in it, with some basil seeds. With the lettuce, tomato and basil, instant salad! :lol:
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: Growing herbs on the balcony

Postby Adrien » Apr 12, 2009 4:33 am

Monica, many beginning herb gardeners may have a problem deciding which herbs to plant because of the large number of herbs from which to select. A quick check of your supermarket shelf will give you some idea of the types of herbs used in cooking and also will serve as a planting guide. Many cookbooks also offer information on uses of various herbs as flavorings.
Following is a good variety of flavors and uses of recommended herbs for beginners:
Strong herbs -- winter savory, rosemary, sage
Herbs strong enough for accent -- basil, dill, mint, sweet marjoram, tarragon, thyme
Herbs for blending -- chives, parsley, summer savory
Whatever you choose, you will not make a mistake!
Best of luck!
http://www.laminatedgardenguides.com - Grow bigger, better, juicier vegetables!
Adrien

Return to Container Gardening