Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Where do you buy soil?

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Where do you buy soil?

Postby isabelbrinck » Apr 28, 2009 7:49 pm

so here's the thing... I have read books and articles describing soil mixes to prepare for different plant types and circumstances (indoor container, etc.). HOWEVER... when I go to Home Depot, I find that all the soil they sell either comes pre-"enriched" with chemical fertilizers, which I don't want, or is labelled as only for garden beds.

I'm a city girl with no car. It's no good to me if only suburban garden centres offer real top soil without the "extras". I realize most people on this forum are either in rural or suburban areas -lucky land owners ;) but maybe someone has a tip of where to shop for soil, coir, perlite, etc, in separate packs? Is online an option?

thanks!
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Re: Where do you buy soil?

Postby haili » Apr 29, 2009 12:26 pm

I've bought container soil from Terra and Loblaws Superstore as well as any local garden center. Loblaw's Magic Soil seems OK.
haili

Postby Eeyore » Apr 29, 2009 2:12 pm

I usually get my supplies at Rona. I saw coir at Canadian Tire, it's becoming more popular. A couple of years ago I had a hard time finding it, now I see it everywhere.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby evepet » Apr 29, 2009 2:34 pm

Another city girl here (also no car) so I sympathize with your situation. I had my first balcony garden last year, and bought the bags of soil from my local Home Hardware store (which is about a 15 minute walk away). Bought one of those shopping trollies that are on wheels, and loaded it up and it worked very well. I kept adding containers, and by the time I'd bought all the soil I needed, I'd made that trip three times. :) I bought the Miracle Grow soil for containers... it may have had commercial fertilizers in it though... I can't recall, as I wasn't too concerned about that last year. They had quite a selection of soil, fertilizers, etc. so they may have had an organic version too. A lot of local hardware chains sell gardening stuff... give them a call, and ask what they have. Then, if you don't already have one, I really suggest investing in a shopping trolley. (They're also great for hauling groceries, and other parcels, etc. - and it sure saves on taxi fares).
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby isabelbrinck » Apr 29, 2009 7:56 pm

Evepet, I came up with the very idea of the shopping cart!... AFTER spending a good $20 on cab fare to get my bag of soil from HD to my apartment last weekend. It's only a 30 minute walk, I could've done it with the wheelie.

Ok, moving on, I will do a little tour of those other stores mentioned (got a downtown CT quite close to me) and see what's what.

Spring is in the air! :mrgreen:
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Postby evepet » Apr 29, 2009 9:55 pm

isabelbrinck wrote:
Spring is in the air! :mrgreen:

Definitely!! I'm getting excited about this year's gardening now. It's going to be hard to resist planting early. :D
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby Smitty » Apr 30, 2009 8:47 am

oh how I know that feeling. I know it's too early to play in the dirt but it's so nice out there and things are greening up . just itching to get out there and plant. But Mother Nature is kind...it is raining again today and I'm not that itchy that I'll go out there in a cold rain. sorry for those in Manitoba that really don't need any rain right now but it is definitely dry in my neck of the woods.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby isabelbrinck » May 01, 2009 10:16 am

I agree with you both, it's hard to resist the temptation when the weather has been so fair (I'm in Montreal). Part of me thinks, maybe it'll just stay this way... but another part of me says "don't be foolish! there is more than enough time for another frost!" :cry:
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Return to Container Gardening