Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Growing an avocado tree on my desk

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Re: Growing an avocado tree on my desk

Postby Laura » May 08, 2009 11:47 am

I know this is totally off topic .... But Angus is that your school picture in your avatar ?
Laura

Postby joan w » May 08, 2009 11:59 am

Good going Angus. I also would like to know how old your avatar picture is.

Not nosy or nothin'. :wink:
Image Image
joan w

Postby angusrobinson » May 08, 2009 12:04 pm

heh... no, it's a photo that I created at http://www.yearbookyourself.com

Unfortunately they've taken the photo-editing tool offline, but I believe they will be reinstating it again pretty soon. I created a whole ton of funny photos of myself, such as this one:

angus2.jpg

:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
angusrobinson
Site Admin

Postby evepet » May 08, 2009 12:25 pm

Mine didn't 'sprawl' and spill over quite the same as some I've seen. But they grew into nice, full plants. Maybe 8" wide and about 4" tall. One seemed to have more 'spill effect' than the rest. They'd definitely make a nice green plant for your desktop. :) And it grows quickly once it sprouts through. I think it took maybe 4-6 weeks to sprout, then I transplanted them once they were showing some good roots, etc. By mid summer they were healthy green plants. I'm told if you get an organic sweet potato that it might sprout faster. I just used regular grocery bought sweet potatoes. I have pictures around here somewhere that I took as they were sprouting/growing last year.I have to leave shortly for an appointment, but I'll post them for you later.
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby Eeyore » May 08, 2009 1:33 pm

Love the 'fro!

I've never tried growing an avacado before. I might have to give this a try!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Laura » May 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Angus thanks for answering my question ... I bet you could make some scary photos with that program ... :lol: .... I too love the 'fro ...way cool.

I never thought of growing a sweet potato .. :idea: .. I just love the look of that vine.
Laura

Postby evepet » May 08, 2009 7:11 pm

Angus, here's a couple of pictures of my sweet potatoes from early summer of '08.
IMG_0160.JPG
IMG_0198.JPG

Sorry - I can't seem to find any taken later in the year. I guess the novelty had worn off by then!! :lol: I was growing them for the foliage. They did make a lush green plant, but they never did vine and grow over the side of the containers the way I've sometimes seen... perhaps that's a different variety of sweet potato vine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby B_BQ » May 08, 2009 9:50 pm

8)
Neato! (Is that a word?).
I lived in Newfoundland for many years, and always had a lot of house plants around. (Not so much now - too much work!).
I also started an avocado plant from the seed, and actually kept it going for about 4 years! It never produced anything but leaves, but by the time I had to find it a new home, (when we left Newfoundland), it was about 4' high and 3' wide. Carrot tops also make a nice little plant! :roll:
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby angusrobinson » May 11, 2009 12:35 pm

That sweet potato plant looks pretty nice. Did it actually produce sweet potatoes? I have a feeling the plant might overtake my desk, but that's not necessarily a bad thing... :)
angusrobinson
Site Admin

Postby Eeyore » May 11, 2009 2:02 pm

I would hide the weeks and months worth of paper stacked there would it? :wink:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

PreviousNext

Return to Container Gardening