Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Growing an avocado tree on my desk

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Re: Growing an avocado tree on my desk

Postby evepet » May 11, 2009 2:21 pm

I was growing it in an oblong container that was only about 6" deep so the space was fairly limited... there were a lot of other plants in the container too. I noticed some roundish things in the roots, but didn't really think much about whether they would have turned into actual sweet potatoes. I know people that reproduce potatoes this way, so I think you could grow them.... but they'd probably have to have more space to develop.
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby angusrobinson » May 11, 2009 4:00 pm

So, the web editor at Canadian Living (who's actually William Tully's wife) is growing an avocado in the office here too. She started a few months before me, and up until a few weeks ago, it was just a spindly little stem poking out of the ground, about 8 inches tall, with no leaves. For some strange reason, she decided to pour [luke-warm] coffee into her planter (don't ask me why!). After she did that, the plant took off like crazy. A new stem started growing that has now surpassed the original stem, and it's got tons of leaves.

Is this just a coincidence, or can coffee actually increase the rate of growth of plants? I'm curious to try this with my plants, but I'm a little worried that it could have negative effects as well.
angusrobinson

Postby Eeyore » May 11, 2009 4:29 pm

Tara is William's wife? That's interesting news.

I'v heard of people pouring tea into their plants but not coffee. I suppose if it is black it shouldn't really do any harm. Gonna have to google that....

Well according to google, yes, coffee will stimulate growth. It contains nitrogen and potassium as well as caffeine. And it can also affect the pH of the soil.... I wouldn't want to use it on a regular basis though.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby angusrobinson » May 11, 2009 4:35 pm

No, Colleen from Canadian LIVING is William's wife ;)

Let me know what you come up with! Perhaps she's discovered a new super-fertilizer!
angusrobinson

Postby Eeyore » May 11, 2009 4:41 pm

:oops: guess I can't read very well....

Look back up, I edited my post with the info I found.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby angusrobinson » May 11, 2009 4:48 pm

Right then! I will treat Mr. Avocado to a cup of coffee tomorrow morning. I'll be sure to let it cool down first ;)

If it gets coffee on a regular basis, I suppose it gets addicted, right? ;)
angusrobinson

Postby Eeyore » May 11, 2009 4:50 pm

LOL! You could always feed it decafe, an addicted Avacado might not be the site you want to see first thing in the morning!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby ravaka » May 11, 2009 10:16 pm

The small white bulb contained inside of the seed is called the embryo. This is where life begins for the tree! Very cool experiment. I would have never thought an avocado would grow indoors. -ravaka http://www.seabreezenurseries.com
ravaka

Postby angusrobinson » May 13, 2009 12:12 pm

So I fed some cold black coffee to the avocado yesterday, and I swear, it's grown more in the last 24 hours than it has previously. I think we're on to something here!! I'll post some photos at the end of the week.
angusrobinson

Postby angusrobinson » May 15, 2009 11:19 am

It's growing nicely after that shot of coffee - I think that will be a part of the weekly routine! Here are some pictures I took today:

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
angusrobinson

PreviousNext

Return to Container Gardening