Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Growing an avocado tree on my desk

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Re: Growing an avocado tree on my desk

Postby Aigle » May 15, 2009 11:43 am

Hi Angus, nice to see some more tech-geeks getting into gardenL33T. My neighbour used to grow avocados indoors, they made it to about 3' when I last saw them and she swore by weak fish oil fertilizer, frequently applied and well-drained pots. Hers are inside with South light.

Having lived (earlier) in a basement apartment, have you thought of setting up a light garden? I bought a $30.00 shelving unit and 3 sets of 24" flourescent lights and built my own on the cheap and it lasted me 9 years.I now live upstairs, and rent the basement apartment, the new tenant is using the same light garden :) It really will make a difference from November-April if lack of light affects you.

A fellow tech gardener swore by putting his newly planted seeds on a CRT monitor "to germinate" but I was always scared of water leaks.
---
Give me library, or give me Death!
Aigle

Postby angusrobinson » May 19, 2009 4:25 pm

Over the weekend, it's grown a couple inches. I think we're really onto something here with using coffee as fertilizer! Fish oil sounds interesting. I'll try that! My window here faces southeast and there's no shortage of light, which is great.

I had considered getting a set of lights for my apartment, but I really don't like fluorescent lights, and I think it would kinda overpower the space. Besides, I'm hoping to move out soon! (but I've been saying that for a while now).
angusrobinson

Postby angusrobinson » May 22, 2009 4:56 pm

It's time for the Friday avocado update. It's growing like crazy! Grew about 4 inches in the last week, and I can see a few leaves at the top. :)

photo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
angusrobinson

Postby Eeyore » May 23, 2009 12:58 am

Cool! I've got a pit that's been sitting on my counter for a few days. I'd better figure out what I have to do with it!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby angusrobinson » May 29, 2009 3:55 pm

Lyn, I'm no expert, but if you just throw it in a pot and wait for a month, you should see some germination. I think they're pretty hearty, and aren't too picky on growing conditions.

Now time for the weekly Friday avocado update! He's now got some decent sized leaves, and the stem is getting thicker. It hasn't made too much progress on height in the last week, but that's fine. I'd prefer that it focus it's energy on creating leaves and thinkening its stem anyway.
photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Have a great weekend!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
angusrobinson

Postby kelly_m » May 29, 2009 4:00 pm

Wow!! Isn't he growing up to be a strapping young man!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby angusrobinson » May 29, 2009 4:04 pm

Yeah, he's growing up nicely... it seems like yesterday that he was just a young lad, sprouting his first root in a cup full of water. ;)

[ Wipes tear from eye ]
angusrobinson

Postby kelly_m » May 29, 2009 5:12 pm

I wonder....does the avacado fall far from the tree????? 8)
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Aigle » May 30, 2009 12:38 pm

Have you named it?

Can we have a contest?
---
Give me library, or give me Death!
Aigle

Postby bluewillow » May 31, 2009 6:45 pm

[color=#4040FF]Angus, some years ago I too grew an avacado tree. However, my tree was more like a stick ..... ought to have pinched off the upper 'trunk' to promote fullness.
The coffee treatment is amazing ... what a difference.
Keep us updated and I shall be peeking in from time to time checking on the progress.

bw/color]
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

PreviousNext

Return to Container Gardening