Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Growing an avocado tree on my desk

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Re: Growing an avocado tree on my desk

Postby angusrobinson » Jun 01, 2009 11:27 am

Naming contest? Sounds like a great idea! ...so long as the winner is ok with the prize being a round of applause ;)

I was thinking about pinching the top so it's not so stick-like. Perhaps I'll do that. Should I do that now, or wait until it has a few more levels of leaves?
angusrobinson

Postby bluewillow » Jun 01, 2009 1:16 pm

I'd wait until 'avacado' has grown some and more leaves & height, Angus.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby Aigle » Jun 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Hmmmm, Yeah...My mom also told me to never name the kittens too soon.

But as for prize. The whole thing will be to be "THE NAMER OF THE AVOCADO"

-We could add "the official Avocado namer" to our .sigfile....that's worth more than a backyard renno to some strange people ;Þ

Mich (proud of her .org email... never use it)
---
Give me library, or give me Death!
Aigle

Postby angusrobinson » Jun 05, 2009 3:52 pm

Ok, I have the prize for the "Namer of the Avocado Plant" contest. The winning name gets the selected name on an official name plate, attached to the pot. So every week when I post a photo update, the name plate will be included in the photo... It's not much, but it certainly is a right to brag! So if anyone has any ideas, let's hear 'em (male or female), and we'll decide on the winning name by the end of the month. 8)

So, now for this week's update! The leaves are getting pretty big now. In a couple weeks, I think I'll snip the top to create more branches - the fourth leaf is just starting to sprout.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Have a great weekend!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
angusrobinson

Postby bluewillow » Jun 05, 2009 4:32 pm

The avacado has certainly taken on a growing spurt. Amazing with the help of a cuppa from time to time. Don't nip the top off just yet ...maybe do a 'search' and see what is professional recommends to be on the safe side.

Have a good weekend, Angus.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby Aigle » Jun 07, 2009 12:56 pm

All I can recall is my neighvours Avocado's never branched. She may have done that intentionally. Ther were long cingle like bamboo and looked wonderful.

"I am Count Lorenzo Romano Amedeo Carlo Avocado di Quaregna e di Cerreto... ...(ahem...and what's YOUR number?)"

... okay that geeky pun has been blocking my brain for so long have it out of the way and can really think of a silly, yet appropriately cool name. :D

(yeah, I scare myself too sometimes)
---
Give me library, or give me Death!
Aigle

Postby bluewillow » Jun 07, 2009 1:26 pm

angusrobinson wrote:Naming contest? Sounds like a great idea! ...so long as the winner is ok with the prize being a round of applause ;)

I was thinking about pinching the top so it's not so stick-like. Perhaps I'll do that. Should I do that now, or wait until it has a few more levels of leaves?

Angus, do a Google search re. 'pinching back an avacado seedling' ... lots to view and think myself its just a little too soon to pinch.

bw
bluewillow

Postby kelly_m » Jun 08, 2009 9:57 am

Okay...I'll be the first to start the name game....avocado......How's about Av??? Or Cado....

Just Plain Frank?
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby angusrobinson » Jun 08, 2009 10:16 am

Heh... I am quite partial to the generic names for plants and animals. "Frank" is great! Although maybe it should be a Spanish name since the word "Avocado" is Spanish, and they originate in Mexico & South America.

Blue Willow, you're right. I think I'll wait a while before pinching. I'll let you all tell me when to do it as you know far more about growing than I do!
angusrobinson

Postby Anja » Jun 08, 2009 10:58 am

You know it's proven that having plants in your office space helps create a healthier and in my opinion, entertaining environment! I have an avocado in my lunch bag today. Maybe I'll try growing one in the office, although I don't have any direct light! I've had excellent success growing them at home, but unfortunately I've never had one bear fruit.
Anja

PreviousNext

Return to Container Gardening