Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Another problem re my cherry tom seedlings....?

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Re: Another problem re my cherry tom seedlings....?

Postby bluewillow » Jul 20, 2009 1:49 pm

Lyn suggested the totes and the results are pleasing. I'm finding now that these totes must be watered daily as containers dry out quickly.
Don't think we will be getting our hot and humid weather as promised for Summer of 2009.

My peppers are doing poorly ... haven't grown much since planted. Read in an article that epson salts help so may give this a shot.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby evepet » Jul 23, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi there... thanks for your comments. I'm sorry I haven't been able to check the forum much lately. I just resigned from my p/t evening job, so hopefully I'll have a bit more time to spend checking things out here. :)

About my tomato plants... wow - are they ever growing tall! Man alive! I've been using just a miniscule amount of Miracle Grow veggie fertilizer weekly and they've turned into super plants reaching for the sky! The top branches are at least 16' higher than the top round rung of the cage... and climbing higher every day. I can see several branches of tiny green tomatoes now. In fact I'm worried that the leaves are so dense that the sun won't be able to get to the tomatoes themselves to ripen them?? The cages are still doing their job, although they are definitely not very sturdy. This whole thing is experimental this year so it's kind of an exercise in what not to do! But interesting non the less. I do hope though that I get some edible cherry toms out of it.
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby bluewillow » Jul 24, 2009 7:28 am

I do think you ought to stop the Miracle Gro' for tomatoes treatment. Read somewhere July 1st should be the cut off point. I fertilized mine mid-July which I should not have done. - only the 2nd treatment. I'm hoping for more bee sightings - bees have been scarce. Good luck Evepet on your growings!

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby MareE » Jul 24, 2009 8:12 am

Holy towering! Evepet, your cherry tom plants would give Jack's beanstalk a run for its money. You'll need an extension ladder—or cherry picker ;o}— to pick them! So, no probs with the reservoirs in containers, then? Never had a tomato plant grow much taller than my armpit, which is four feet, the length of my crutches. Hmmm, they'd make good climbing apparatus, come to think of it. LOL

Blue O'Dale, my Peppers haven't even blossomed yet. They're heavy feeders so I'll give mine a shot of epson salts, too, in case the moo poo wasn't enuff. Humidity is hitting the GTA at last. Now mebbe our veggies' tootsies will get warmed up! Hope it doesn't get soggy humid tho'. Was enjoying the coolest July in 20 years, frankly.

MareE;o} in Hill O'WarmerAir
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby evepet » Jul 24, 2009 9:35 am

:D BW, I agree re stopping the MiracleGro. I was thinking I should stop, but a little devil in me made me give them one last 'shot' this past Wednesday. I think I'm curious to see how high they'll actually grow. As I said I've never grown a tomato plant in a container before, and this whole exercise is most interesting. Apart from the entertainment (egads I must live a boring life!!!) I do hope to get to eat a few cherry toms though....not just the interest aspect of watching this tomatoe plant stretch up as if it's a climbing bean vine. :lol:

MareE.. I think you've got it! This cherry tom is planted close to morning glories and trailing nasturiums, a few scarlett runners, etc... it's got climbing envy!! :lol:
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Previous

Return to Container Gardening