Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

squirrels digging

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

squirrels digging

Postby haili » Jul 22, 2009 7:25 am

My large container was beautiful with coleus and two-tone geranium in the middle with Aussie fan flower and purple wave petunias at the edge. The squirrels keep digging plants out and the fan flower is now dead. They even get into my hanging basket and half-moon planters on the fence. I've tried cayenne pepper but it rains a lot and it doesn't seem to bother the squirrels that much. I even threw an old video tape at one the other day. Nothing seems to deter them and they come back as soon as I leave the window. Someone is feeding them peanuts and they come to bury them where the digging is soft - my containers.
I guess all I can do is vent and keep re-planting?
haili

Re: squirrels digging

Postby B_BQ » Jul 22, 2009 8:16 pm

Grrrr! I feel your pain haili!
Normally I can manage the squirrels, red, white and black, and the chipmunks, and the next-door-neighbours' cat - just about. I have a pretty cement planter which contains a nice large Scaevola, (fan flower), and I really like the way it looks. However, 'something' has decided to keep it devoid of soil! No matter how many times I top it up, the next day it's empty again. I don't know how the scaevola is surviving - it's struggling but still alive! I know we have a nest of chipmunks adjacent to it, but the chippies don't usually do this much damage. It must be a squirrel who's decided to start hoarding whatever it can find for winter!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Lulu » Jul 22, 2009 9:28 pm

I am finding bulbs all over my yard! Grrr! They're cute, but very destructive little rodents!
Lulu

Postby haili » Jul 23, 2009 12:01 pm

I replanted my fan flower but it still looks sick. I also stuck a bunch of little sticks into the planter, which works for cats but don't know about squirrels. Maybe I'll get some cheap impatience on sale and keep using them as filler. It's too bad, as the colours were really nice together It's pouring rain here today so the pepper will be washed away yet again
haili

Postby elizabeth24 » Sep 01, 2009 10:22 pm

This fall, try planting a few daffodil bulbs where ever they are digging. I think you just need one here and there. They don't go in the front garden, because I have daffodils planted there, and they don't like the smell of the bulbs. Thanks for reminding me to plant some in the back garden this fall, as the squirrels do like the mulch. :D
elizabeth24

Postby lylette » Oct 06, 2009 11:01 am

Squirrels won't dig if you place white stones on top of your soil. I don't know if they see colour but as soon as I put stones in my pots the digging stopped. Maybe they see differences between black and white meaning white is not soil.
lylette

Postby haili » Oct 07, 2009 1:56 pm

Thanks for the tips. I don't plant bulbs anymore and had to re-do my one bed as a tree was taken out and now it's a sunny yard. I did icicle pansies instead and put those purple cabbages in the big planter along with a spike and some trailing lamium. The squirrels haven't been as bad since the tree was cut down but I still chase the odd one. The little sticks in the hanging basket seemed to work well. I crossed a couple between the plants and put some short ones sticking up. This also works with cats in flower beds - though it's not that pretty.

Daffodils never did well in my shade garden but now that it's sunny they might do better.
haili

Return to Container Gardening