Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Re: Condo Gardening

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Postby elizabeth24 » Sep 01, 2009 10:14 pm

If we move to a condo, what do I need to know about the rules regarding gardening? I would do container gardening, but since we have a house right now, and I do all the gardening outside, how do I manage not to get garden soil falling down on the people under us, when I am on the balcony? Thanks for any info.
elizabeth24

Postby Eeyore » Sep 01, 2009 10:17 pm

Make sure to put some sort of saucer under your planters to prevent water or soil from falling down on those below. When putting soil into the planters do so with a hand held scoop and do it carefully. It takes longer but your neighbours will appreciate it. It's nice to know that you are so considerate of your neighbours! :D Some people are not and it just creates bad feelings!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby elizabeth24 » Sep 01, 2009 10:28 pm

Thank you. :)
elizabeth24

Postby Sheikea » Sep 08, 2009 9:24 am

Hehehe whats a little dirt among neighbours..let it fly and throw seeds too..JK..You could also put down a type of drop cloth as well to build your planters on and perhaps like Lyn said trays underneath,just make sure they are nice and deep that way you won't have to worry if you over water one day. :)
Sheikea

Postby bob130967 » Sep 19, 2009 4:10 am

pots and saucers supplier, http://www.sincereyplanters.com
bob130967

Re: Condo Gardening, including watering

Postby pmhlb » May 18, 2010 1:15 pm

Many condo balcony floors are cement, so there is no need to worry much about dirt landing on the neighbours below -- unless you are really slinging it around. :o

One thing to consider when container gardening on a condo patio is watering. I carry a small rectangular bucket of water onto the patio, and then fill plastic litre-size jugs from it. I have read about attaching a long hose to the kitchen sink, but have not been brave enough to try that method, for fear of inadvertently soaking my living room carpet enroute to the patio.

Paula
pmhlb

Return to Container Gardening