Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Earwigs in hanging basket GONE

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Earwigs in hanging basket GONE

Postby elizabeth24 » Sep 16, 2009 1:00 am

Just thought I would let you know how I got rid of earwigs in my hanging basket. Someone suggested putting a clove of garlic in the soil, just dug with my finger, and put the garlic clove in the soil, after taking the skin off first. Do not cover garlic clove with soil. Try not to water for a couple of days. If you see any eggs, get rid of them first. (I used a full bulb of garlic, separating the cloves, and spreading them around in the hanging basket.) This worked for me, when earwigs had eaten my flowers (million bells) and (bacopa). The million bells and bacopa came back. The bacopa came back first. The red million bells were the last to come back. The garlic has taken root though, so now I am growing garlic in my favorite flowering hanging basket. LOL

I also have three containers on the ground with snapdragons in them. I saw an earwig egg in one of them today, so I put a garlic clove in the middle of each container, and will not water any of them for two days. Since earwigs can hide in the top of the snapdragons, I hope this works.
elizabeth24

Re: Earwigs in hanging basket GONE

Postby Sheikea » Sep 17, 2009 9:27 am

Must make note of this.Not sur eIf i have earwigs in anything but is good advice.Thank you for sharing. :)
Sheikea

Re: Earwigs in hanging basket GONE

Postby bob130967 » Sep 19, 2009 4:07 am

For better hanging basket, pls contact us:http://www.sincereyplanters.com
bob130967

Return to Container Gardening