Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Veggies in Pots

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Veggies in Pots

Postby joan w » Apr 06, 2010 2:15 pm

After growing tomatoes in pots for the past 2 years, I would like to try something different. How about green beans? I love green beans. Thinking of putting in some rhubarb too, but in the garden, not a pot.
Image Image
joan w

Re: Veggies in Pots

Postby Trailblaze1 » Apr 06, 2010 6:39 pm

I love growing beans, usually plant a few rows each year, of green and yellow. I don't know how well they would do in pots, but I suppose if the pot is large, and you water it frequently, it should work. Let us know!
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby MareE » Apr 07, 2010 4:12 am

Should work, Blaze. And you could try String or Pole Beans, Joan. Three bean seeds per at least three pots each holding a 6-foot bamboo stake could work for a balcony garden, eh? I bought Blue Lake pole beans once mistaking them for Blue Lake bush beans and should've thought of that method then rather than letting them crawl on the ground! laffs

Wasn't going to grow green and yellow beans this year, aside from Scarlet Runners, but now I think I'll try bush beans in pots on the roof, Joni-O. Such pretty foliage would serve as a low "wall" as well. haha Thanks! ;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Eeyore » Apr 07, 2010 11:01 am

I'm going to try carrots and parsnips in big rubbermaid containers this year.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby MrsJP » Apr 07, 2010 9:23 pm

I've done tomatoes and Lettuce in pots. This year I'm trying Cucumbers, Pepers and beans.
Jackie
MrsJP

Postby haili » Apr 09, 2010 7:30 pm

My lettuce is up! Still waiting for the parsley and onions - but parsley is usually slow.
haili

Postby VictorianNoire » Apr 15, 2010 11:26 pm

a lot of people in the nursery are doing veggies in pots. it is easier for us here on the island as you can keep them on the porch and the deer (most of the time) cant get at them. i even had a lady in today who was growing potatoes in pots! really anything is possible i suppose.
VictorianNoire

Postby Crazy4Columbine » May 12, 2010 10:11 am

I'm doing veg in pots for the first time ever...any tips I should know? I'm doing cherry & patio tomatoes, carnival peppers, picklebush cukes, container sized carrots - thumbs I think they're called, strawberries, beets, raddish and herbs....all if the universe is good to me! If all die but the tomatoes I will be happy enough ;)
Crazy4Columbine

Postby VictorianNoire » May 14, 2010 10:44 am

hahahaha nice, well at least you have 2 plants, so your choices are higher. just makes sure that you are fertilizing them regularly with high nitrogen fert. and they should stay pretty happy. hopefully we dont all get the blight again like last year! (it was insane here on the island anyways...)
VictorianNoire

Postby Crazy4Columbine » Jun 30, 2010 4:45 pm

So far the veggies I am doing in pots are doing well. I have a huge patio tomato, which broke in the wind or by a child, not sure which but I splinted it and it's still flowering and still has tomatoes on it so I'm optimistic. Also two smaller patio tomato plants that are producing, along with 2 cherry tomato hanging baskets that have hundreds of flowers and give me handfuls of cherry toms every couple of days!

I also have butter lettuce, swiss chard, a chili pepper, basil, thyme and mint. The carnival peppers I started from seed are not very big so I'm not really holding out any hope for them but you never know! I put 5 Zucchini plants in one big planter and they are flowering up a storm, so I'm really looking forward to some Zucchini!

Anyone else doing veg containers? How are they doing?
Crazy4Columbine

Next

Return to Container Gardening