Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Veggies in Pots

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Re: Veggies in Pots

Postby Maralyn45 » Sep 29, 2010 2:21 am

Great idea of growing green beans.....
Maralyn45

Postby benjimum » Apr 17, 2011 9:05 pm

I have a greenhouse 8 feet by 40 and in the winter it doubles as storage for tractors and such so all my planters need to be moveable. I use large rubbermaiid containers. The real rubbermaid containers work the best as they last the longest. I drill holes into the bottom of them and lay a layer of stryofoam pieces into them. This makes them lighter for moving about.
I layer with a layer of straw and then good soil.
I plant tomatoes of many kids, peppers, cucumbers, brussel sprouts, beans, sugar snap peas, every yr. I have also tried popcorn which grows very tall and I move outside once it is growing. The greenhouse gives it a longer season. i have also planted pototoes, carrots, beets and other underground veggies. They need a good amount of feeding and a large container.
I have had a very large container with a grape vine growing a few yrs, but last winters harsh weather killed it off. It produced well and was a fun thing to grow.
Vines like cucmbers, canteloupe, melons, grow well if you put the continer against a wall with a tresell and train them up the wall. feed well.
Herbs grow very well in containers and its the perfect place for mint, it doesnt spread every!
benjimum

Postby MareE » Apr 18, 2011 6:51 am

Welcome back, Benjmum! Nice to see JoanW's thread again, too. I remember you posting about use of styrofoam in containers and it being a great way to recycle the stuff as well. Great green idea! :D

I grew Pak Choy in ground plus in a hanging basket last year with other greens and the basket veggies were better as I could relocate them to different locations throughout the day/season.;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby benjimum » Apr 18, 2011 11:00 am

Thanks for the welcome, great to be talking gardening again.

Thats another great part of container planting, being able to move them.
benjimum

Previous

Return to Container Gardening