Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Plants for birdbath?

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Plants for birdbath?

Postby Godslamb » Apr 07, 2010 10:53 am

Hello you wonderful people,
Must be getting close to Spring as I am back on the forums. :lol:
Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what I could plant in a spare birdbath I have. It is about 4-5" deep, so the plant has to be something that has a shallow root system and would grow in something like that. I have seen sedum suggested, but I am unsure what that is, and if it grows in my zone. I like the idea of something trailing down the side, but again, unsure what that might be.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Carol

The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth,
One is nearer God's heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on earth.
~Dorothy Frances Gurney, "Garden Thoughts"
Godslamb

Re: Plants for birdbath?

Postby Smitty » Apr 07, 2010 11:12 am

Spring is definitely in the air!
yep sedum will grow in your zone and would work well in the birdbath but definitely wouldn't survive a winter there in fact I'd be surprised if anything would survive a winter. hens and chick would also feel right at home there. thinking bacopa would look nice trailing over the edges.. 5" is a fairly decent depth so with close attention to the watering I think the sky is the limit.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Godslamb » Apr 07, 2010 12:01 pm

Hens? chick? bacopa??
Obviously I am not a great gardener. :shock: :oops:
Carol

Godslamb

Postby Smitty » Apr 07, 2010 12:08 pm

LOL!!!!! I've been in your shoes...not overly long ago I was new to gardening too. Your local garden center should be a huge fountain of information for you.

let me see if I can find you a few pictures

hens and chicks
hens and chicks.JPG

sorry this is all I can find in my files but if you do a google image search you'll find lots
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty

Postby Godslamb » Apr 07, 2010 12:27 pm

Thanks Smitty :)
I have been gardening for about 12 years, but still feel like I know nothing. I have killed so many poor plants that I feel the poor little things trembling at the nursery as I walk by.
Carol

Godslamb

Postby agedgardener » Apr 07, 2010 2:31 pm

I have a birdbath that cracked during the winter I planted Wax Begonias very successfullySome years I have grown the pink ones with equal successJOY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
agedgardener

Postby Countryboy » Apr 07, 2010 5:08 pm

Dianthus *Pinks* will root in shallowish soil. And will trail. And probably will last thru the Winter. Or find some decent looking rocks, make a circle of them around the edge of the planter and build up more soil inside the circle.

Best of luck. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby uhiratsuka » Apr 07, 2010 7:09 pm

What a great idea! Something trailing over the edge would look gorgeous. Will it be somewhere really bright and sunny, or a bit shadier? If you want a perennial, you could try one of the vines, like virginia creeper, that would have great red color in the fall, or even one of the hardy clematis, like clematis recta, integrifolia, and tangutica. They all grew really well for me in Edmonton. If you use those, just set a rock over the soil on top of the roots, to help it keep cooler. There are lots of annual vines that would look great, like English or Swedish ivy, or green or purple potato vine. If you want more color, there are lots of options for trailing flowers, like trailing petunias, trailing snapdragons, and trailing lobelias. You inspired me, I have an old cracked birdbath, and now I can't wait to plant something in it!
uhiratsuka

Postby Godslamb » Apr 08, 2010 12:37 pm

Thanks for all the great ideas! I now have to plan a trip to our nursery in May...maybe June here in "balmy" Calgary :roll:
I like the idea of building it up a little with the rocks. I have some great ideas now. Thanks again! :D
Carol

Godslamb

Postby Smitty » Apr 08, 2010 12:44 pm

will we get to see pics of the finished product???
Smitty likes pictures :D :D
Smitty

Next

Return to Container Gardening