Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Bleeding Heart / Sweet peas in container?

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Bleeding Heart / Sweet peas in container?

Postby pmhlb » May 18, 2010 12:12 pm

I live in Ottawa. I would really like to have a Bleeding Heart on the balcony of my apartment. I just bought a huge pot, in hopes of planting a Bleeding Heart in the middle and Sweet Peas climbing up a tower -- positioned in the same pot. I was told that Sweet Peas would not grow in a container, but have had good luck with them. I am seeking advice from those who have successfully grown a Bleeding Heart in a container and from Sweet Pea lovers too.

Cheers,
Paula
pmhlb

Re: Bleeding Heart / Sweet peas in container?

Postby Eeyore » May 18, 2010 6:39 pm

I've found that sweet peas don;t do overly well in containers but I still keep planting them!
I've never tried Bleeding Heart in a planter. Are you talking aobut regular bleeding heart or the small fern leafed ones?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby pmhlb » May 18, 2010 10:24 pm

My Sweet Pea efforts seem to be improving; the pots just have to be DEEP -- so the plants can root down. As for the Bleeding Heart, I think I will try the small fern-leafed type. The regular ones just seem so BIG for a container.
pmhlb

Postby dorab » May 20, 2010 11:16 am

Do the fern leaf bleeding hearts have a longer bloom season than the large ones? Also, I know with the large ones, the foliage tends to die back later in the year. Do the fern leaf bleeding hearts have staying power for the rest of the summer?
Dora
Calgary - Zone 3A
dorab

Postby pmhlb » May 24, 2010 4:35 pm

Was also wondering about these questions, DoraB. Hope we get some responses!
pmhlb
pmhlb

Postby ViridianFields » May 24, 2010 11:37 pm

I believe that the Fern-leaf Bleeding Hearts bloom later and stick around longer, though I doubt if they last all summer in southern areas. Here the foliage of both will last, in a full shade, cool, moist spot, all summer (but we have cool nights).

I believe the reason that Sweet Peas don't do well in containers is because they like it cool. Containers tend to heat up the soil (which will also push your Bleeding Hearts into dormancy in hot summer weather).
Calvin

Creighton, SK - Zone 1b, but don't tell the Delphiniums. Zone 4 for them. :lol:
ViridianFields

Postby pmhlb » May 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Hi Calvin,
Thanks! I am planting my sweet peas in a HUGE container this time; maybe that will help! Any other ideas on how to keep things cool for them?
P
pmhlb

Postby ViridianFields » May 26, 2010 12:31 am

Insulating the containers could help, you could line them with foam to help moderate temperatures. Unglazed clay containers seems to work well also, by evaporating moisture to cool the pot (though this can lead to dry soil pretty fast). Hmm... perhaps giving the plants morning sun and afternoon shade would help also.
Calvin

Creighton, SK - Zone 1b, but don't tell the Delphiniums. Zone 4 for them. :lol:
ViridianFields

Return to Container Gardening