Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Plants for a WEST facing container

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Plants for a WEST facing container

Postby skwij » May 18, 2010 10:24 pm

I would like to keep with the peach/orange/fuschia theme I seem to have started. I have 4 oversized balcony boxes to fill, and would like trailers, and mounders. I know I want some potato vines, and possibly portulaca, of the mounding type, and the trailing type. I'm also really taken with the trailing plant that looks like mini-petunias.

This area will get sun from about 1pm til sundown, and will most likely be HOT. I do NOT want geraniums, if at all possible.

I also want to screw in some hanging pot hangers, as well as the rectangular balcony boxes. I'll take a pic in daylight of the area in question, to give a better idea of what I have to work with.

Any ideas?

I'm willing to water daily.

Thanks for any suggestions!
skwij

Re: Plants for a WEST facing container

Postby ViridianFields » May 19, 2010 8:24 pm

Aww, you already took two of my suggestions (Portulaca and Callibrachoa [the mini petunia]). They both like it hot and like to dry out somewhat between waterings. Osteospermum would also be a good choice (maybe not for a hanging basket) but doesn't like to dry out as much. How about Thunbergia (Black Eyed Susan Vine) though it would need to be watered daily in hot weather.

You say you want to avoid Pelargoniums (Geraniums)... I just recently got over my hatred for them (like, this week!). Some of the newer variegated varieties are unbelievably attractive just in their foliage (actually, I bought them both for their foliage... the flowers had better not be red!). If you want I could take a picture for you to illustrate, they are gorgeous!

I can't offhand think of anything else but I may come up with something while I'm outside planting stuff... I have a peony and a number of potted perennials that need to go in the ground. I think I may sprout the Gladiolus bulbs I have also.
Calvin

Creighton, SK - Zone 1b, but don't tell the Delphiniums. Zone 4 for them. :lol:
ViridianFields

Postby Eeyore » May 20, 2010 11:05 am

Like Calvin I've gotten over my dislike of geraniums. Some of the new varieties are very attractive. Lasst year I picked up one with maple leaf shaped leaves and the smaller flowers.
It might be too red for what you want though.

http://gardenblog.projo.com/2010/04/pel ... m-van.html

Portulaca does great in hot containers.

I would suggest adding soil sponge to your containers, it holds water very well and reduces your watering needs and it doesn't dry out and become crusty like peat.

This link has a list of some annuals for hot, dry areas.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/ho ... 02771.html
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby dorab » May 20, 2010 11:13 am

You might consider nasturtiums.
Dora
Calgary - Zone 3A
dorab

Postby Eeyore » May 20, 2010 11:16 am

Another great choice and they don't need good soil at all. In fact they prefer poor soil and are good to eat as well!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby skwij » May 20, 2010 9:20 pm

Ooooh, some great ideas for sure! I actually like that geranium, and the fact that it can be an indoor plant is a bonus.

Great link to the hot/dry annuals! Pretty much confirms that I MUST have both the mounding and trailing portulaca incorporated.

I'm going to have to look for Nasturtium, so I can see "in the flesh". I'm still totally smitten with the Million Bells in the new coral colour, too.

Hmmmmm...........
skwij

Postby Eeyore » May 21, 2010 10:42 am

I had a Callie last year in the most awesome red and white stripes. It was the nicest one I've ever had. I'll be looking for that to combine with that Vancouver Centennial Geranium again this year! Along with some tall reddish grasses it looked awesome in my planters out front.

Heres what a google image seach turned up for callies.....

http://www.google.ca/images?um=1&hl=en& ... =&gs_rfai=

I love these guys!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby ViridianFields » May 22, 2010 11:59 pm

I also love Callibrachoa... it will even take cold temperatures (mine are outside already and won't come in until the end of August or so). Actually, this is probably my current favorite annual (I'm really smitten with the purple ones I bought this year).

I hadn't thought of Nasturtiums. I actually have yet to plant mine... still working on getting the peonies in the ground :shock:
Calvin

Creighton, SK - Zone 1b, but don't tell the Delphiniums. Zone 4 for them. :lol:
ViridianFields

Return to Container Gardening