Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

This Season's Containers ....

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

This Season's Containers ....

Postby Laura » Sep 23, 2010 8:05 am

This year I decided to use up some seeds so planted my large buckets with four o'clocks.The window box my MIL gave me got planted with my old gerainiums,my small buckets got planted with a few viola's and a couple pansies.I had some extra plants so the left-overs and a small piece of ivy from my neighbor got stuck together in an old pot.

This is a picture of the results.Not a spectacular showing but there is always next season ... :wink:

Laura

Re: This Season's Containers ....

Postby Countryboy » Sep 23, 2010 9:43 am

It seems that the small buckets are doing better than the large ones. I wonder if it's the plants? . . . or maybe the containers..... :?
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Eeyore » Sep 23, 2010 12:05 pm

I've found that Lavatera and Four o'clocks really don't like containers. They do much better in the ground. Pasies do wonderful in pots though.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Laura » Sep 23, 2010 9:15 pm

I have grown four o'clocks in a container before but I just think they are not really showy enough.The flowers are small and they are closed up for most of the day.

The pansies did well at first but drooped in the heat we had a few weeks ago,now with the cooler temps they are picking back up.

The ivy was really slow taking off but now is going gang busters.

I am planning for next season and would very much like to try an orange and fushia combo ... maybe a little varigated ivy to go with ..... :mrgreen:
Laura

Postby kelly_m » Sep 24, 2010 9:39 am

What a good choice for next year!! LOL
IMG_4492.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Laura » Sep 24, 2010 10:33 am

Very nice K ... is this a container of yours ? .... if so can you let us know what the plants are ?

I am thinking impatients for my scheme next season,I need somthing that can take morning shade and afternoon sun.
Laura

Postby Eeyore » Sep 24, 2010 10:43 am

That's purty K! What is the orange flower?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby kelly_m » Sep 24, 2010 11:14 am

It is one of mine! Thanks

In it is an upright Fuschia for the focal point...though the tuberous begonia (the orange) is giving it a run for it's money! there's variegated vinca as well as purple calibrochia (which you can't really see, but am very happy with how the mini snapdragons have filled in the base! Will be using those again too!

I have a salmon calibrochia in the complimentary container on the other side which I would have prefered in this one. the other has a purple dracena spike and a lighter peachy tuber begonia.
My tubers are @5 years old and have come back in different spots in and around my gardens!!LOL
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby Eeyore » Sep 24, 2010 12:13 pm

Oh yeah, I love the mini snaps and callies. They really last and last and last! Love that orage begonia too. Can't recall if I posted photos of my containers this year but I used Purple plume grass for height and then Vancouver Centennial Geraniums and terra cotta callies. They turned out great!

i also used varieagated vinca in one of my planters and some deadnettle and lamium in a couple of others. They'll be planted in the gardens as ground covers.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby kelly_m » Sep 24, 2010 2:32 pm

I'm goonna have to try the purple plume grass next year!!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Return to Container Gardening