Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Something that does well in the sun

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Something that does well in the sun

Postby ben01 » Apr 05, 2012 10:48 pm

I want to do a couple of hanging planters along a fence that borders my property.

The area gets sun pretty much all day. I expect that any hanging planter is going to dry out real fast in the area, especially in the hotter days of summer. But it would look so good to have some nice, colourful flowers there.

I love the qualities of impatiens: they are beautiful flowers that constantly bloom and replace each other. I have had impatiens that have done really well in alot of sun, but I wouldn't try them in a hanging planter in the area I'm thinking about; they would probably be dead in a day or two.

Any suggestions? I am looing for something with lots of colour, that blooms alot and doesn't need much deadheading. I am diligent about watering, but it would have to be something that can tolerate dryness.

I'm in zone 5a or 5b.
ben01

Re: Something that does well in the sun

Postby Eeyore » Apr 05, 2012 11:18 pm

Portulaca or Iceplant would do well in those conditions.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » Apr 06, 2012 7:51 pm

As Lyn says, Portulaca would do well in those conditions. Trailing portulaca is available these days too. Of course geraniums like the heat and dry soil, and I always have trailing geraniums in my full sun hanging baskets. Lantana is another one you might consider.
We've just spent a few weeks in the Californian desert area; very very hot dry conditions during the day, where Lantana thrives and the hummingbirds love it! Bonus!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Drought Smart Plants » Oct 12, 2012 11:24 am

I've seen some spectacular tender succulent hanging baskets, which of course wouldn't survive the winter, and I've done some with Sempervivum and Sedum which can make it - even still hanging up!
Drought Smart Plants

Postby rabika » Jul 04, 2013 12:50 am

I haven't tried this, but some of my sedums in my previous garden - and my chrysanthemums - would flop, too. Recently I spoke to Paul Zammit (the director of horticulture at the Toronto Botanical Garden) for an article I was writing and he said:

Know when the plants flower and don’t be scared to prune or cut them back. He recommends staggering plants’ bloom times by trimming back a clump every ten days in spring. This works well with late-summer bloomers like rudbeckia, chrysanthemums, sedum and monarda.
rabika

Return to Container Gardening