Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Strawberries in Overhead Planters

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Strawberries in Overhead Planters

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Mar 30, 2014 11:22 pm

I'm thinking about planting strawberries in overhead planters - up about 6 ft. I've seen some planted in eaves-troughs but I'm not sure if it would be sufficient soil and if the roots would survive our winters. (South Central BC - zone 6 +) I could always put them into troughs in the ground for the winter if necessary. We don't get really cold winters - but have 'hot' summers.
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Re: Strawberries in Overhead Planters

Postby tricone » Jul 12, 2014 11:27 am

I have grown strawberries in hanging baskets as well as in a vertical piece of guttering. Their root systems are not too big so they don't mind a relative lack of soil compared to most other edibles. As long as they don't dry out they are perfectly happy.

Unfortunately I killed all mine off last winter by stupidly not bothering to winterize them (SW Ontario). This year I will likely lay the guttering on the ground and bury it with paper, mulch etc
tricone

Re: Strawberries in Overhead Planters

Postby karenchamp » Nov 27, 2014 2:26 am

Strawberry plants in hanging basket can be used for decor as well. We have this arrangement in our kitchen garden as well and trust me this looks fabulous.
karenchamp

Return to Container Gardening