Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

What did I do wrong?

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

What did I do wrong?

Postby daBee » Jul 25, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi folks.

Well, it's July 25 and my deck containers aren't doing so hot. Just wanted to know if anybody could shed some light on what I have done wrong.

1. Cilantro (I had 5 seeds, very low germination last year), Basil (seed packet), with 1 obvious seed from last year that worked out well
2. Morning Glories (not so bad)
3. Poppies (European)
4. Petunias

Is the choice of soil not good? I'm thinking it's too dense and Oxygen isn't getting to the roots. With seeds this dense (scattered), I couldn't really cultivate anything. I water using a compost tea and rainwater.

Other than that, I have no clue how I can get these really booming. I don't like buying plants because that pretty much avoids my goal to fully produce a yearly deck growing season.

Any ideas welcome.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daBee

Re: What did I do wrong?

Postby soccermomof3 » Jul 26, 2014 8:44 am

Is it the same soil you've used for a couple of years? If so, maybe you need fresh soil. Are the seeds a couple of years old, if so may need new seed next year. I'm no expert, but those are situations which have happened to me.
soccermomof3

Re: What did I do wrong?

Postby daBee » Jul 26, 2014 12:33 pm

Ya the soil was good, but it's quite dense. Water has packed the soil and I'm thinking that might be a problem. Other than that, the seeds came from my "crops" last year or were from envelopes.

The common thing amongst all 4 of them is that they are all relatively slow, with the same soil. The Morning Glories are doing OK. Had 5 flowers out in full force this morning.

Cheers
daBee

Return to Container Gardening