Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Starting my garden!

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Starting my garden!

Postby SarahA » Jul 26, 2014 10:43 pm

Hello!

Just found to forums and would love to chat and get some helpful advice from fellow gardeners. I'm pretty new though I do know a few things about plants from my mother who is an avid gardener.

I just moved into my own place in January! I have a lovely balcony and am obsessed with growing edible things. It helps as my boyfriend and I are a young couple and love to cook at home.

I have a south west facing balcony and I get about 6-8 hours of sun during the day, mostly in the afternoon/evening due to how the complex is positioned. The balcony is protected from harsh winds and is covered by the outstretched roof so no rain.

I just started my garden and learned that the west most side of my balcony gets the harshest of sun. Unfortunately it took a couple of my herbs out to discover this. I am currently successfully growing banana peppers, basil, strawberries and jalapenos(the plant is doing good but hasn't given any fruit).

I'm hoping to keep expanding and adding to my garden! Anyone have any suggestions? The plants seem to do better on the East side of my balcony do to protection from the tree growing next to it, but I'd love to plant something on the west side!
SarahA

Re: Starting my garden!

Postby Countryboy » Jul 29, 2014 10:29 am

U can plant in harsh sun... just provide some screening from it. Hang or prop something up in front of the plants. Lattice works, as would anything that blocks SOME of the sun beating on your plants.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Return to Container Gardening