Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

This one should be interesting....

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Postby Blossom » Jan 15, 2008 5:09 pm

I was laughing at Lynnes post too.
"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Postby butterfly » Jan 15, 2008 6:30 pm

skwij wrote:I use coir, too, and it's lovely stuff. You can get it at pet stores as well, for reptiles, in a compressed brick.

Another thing to do is stuff the innards of a diaper in the bottom of the pot. It will hold moisture for a few days, cutting down on the watering needed (I got this beaut of an idea from BBQ).

Skwij

Is there any other type of store you can buy soilsponge other than a pet store?

We don't have such a thing here

thanks Butterfly
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby butterfly » Jan 15, 2008 6:35 pm

I have no shade around the house area for containers so to have them, they are in direct hot heat all day

It didn't seem to matter what size pot I used they dried out in 2-3 hours

My deck planters are in full sun all day and it's constant watering Am and PM

I'll need to try some of these things

cheers Butterfly Thanks
Cheers Butterfly

butterfly

Postby skwij » Jan 15, 2008 11:18 pm

butterfly wrote:
skwij wrote:I use coir, too, and it's lovely stuff. You can get it at pet stores as well, for reptiles, in a compressed brick.

Another thing to do is stuff the innards of a diaper in the bottom of the pot. It will hold moisture for a few days, cutting down on the watering needed (I got this beaut of an idea from BBQ).

Skwij

Is there any other type of store you can buy soilsponge other than a pet store?

We don't have such a thing here

thanks Butterfly

http://www.lignocell.com/Products.htm?g ... Igoddx2KTg

http://www.vermiculture.ca/store/index. ... oductId=53

It's also sold under the name of "Coco-Peat"

http://sun-im.com/

http://www.starfiber.com/

Believe me, this stuff is great. I use it as a soil substitute for my terrarium (for Giant African Land Snails) and it's wonderful.
skwij

Postby butterfly » Jan 15, 2008 11:23 pm

Ok

I know what you mean

Not sure I can buy it here but will ask

cheers and Thanks Butterfly
Cheers Butterfly

butterfly

Postby Eeyore » Jan 16, 2008 12:46 am

Ven and Blossom! You guys are a hoot! They were clean when I put them in but they certainly smelled rotton later on! I think it must have been the gel crystals....

Butterfly, it is also called Peat Eliminator. It comes in compressed blocks at Home Depot or at your garden Center. You put the copmpressed block into a LARGE container of water and let it soak for awhile and then break it up and mix it with your soil.
The package comes with a bag with a water line on it, you just fill that bag up to the line but I find that unless you put the bag into something or make sure it's propped up it will easily tip over.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Jan 18, 2008 1:49 pm

We have about 8 pots that have a water resevoir in the bottom with a wick that goes up into the area of the pot that contains the soil. The plants draw the water as needed & you merely trot around with the garden hose on a regular basis and keep the resivoir filled. They however, are not much to look at in that they appear to be about a 2 gallon pail in size so we usually use these with plants that will overflow the pot & conceal the sides.
Have also used them with 1/2" rebar & plunk them in amoungst shrubs with the pots about 2 - 3 ft. above the ground to give a burst of color amongst predominately green areas. Kinda fun to fool around with pots such as buried in the ground under junipers & evergreens where plants don't much like to be, & this also gives color that otherwise would not exist.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby bluewillow » Jan 18, 2008 6:48 pm

http://sun-im.com/index.html

This site might be helpful coco-
bluewillow

Postby mollyzone5 » Jan 19, 2008 9:26 am

[quote="butterfly"]I have no shade around the house area for containers so to have them, they are in direct hot heat all day

BF, not sure what you mean by this.All structures produce shade,sometime through the day.The only area would be the south side,that would be all day sun.
mollyzone5

PreviousNext

Return to Container Gardening