Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

This one should be interesting....

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Postby butterfly » Jan 23, 2008 6:48 pm

mollyzone5 wrote:
butterfly wrote:I have no shade around the house area for containers so to have them, they are in direct hot heat all day

BF, not sure what you mean by this.All structures produce shade,sometime through the day.The only area would be the south side,that would be all day sun.

Molly

I have shade on one side about 4 ft out from the house for about 4-5 hours Not the side I wan to put conntainers excpet maybe one.
I have 7 entrances but just 3 which is used by others but me

That's it. One tree in the front end which doesn't provide shade on that deck

The south side hot sun all day. 3 entrances on that side

Only one small door step out of 5 decks has shade for a while but that isn't where I would put containers
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby bluewillow » Mar 07, 2008 10:47 am

Laura, this sounds like a neat little trick with sponges. I've seen pkgs of sponges at the $-store ... maybe 5 per pak.

I'm forced to grow my tomatoes and cukes in containers as my soil is bad in my yard. I'm taking Lyn's advice of a year ago .... Rubbermaid type containers. Thanks again, Lyn!

bw
bluewillow

Postby Eeyore » Mar 07, 2008 10:59 am

Your welcome BW. I think I'll be adding a couple of containers for peppers this year.

I wonder if sponges would actually work.... I'd be worried that they wouldn't release the water when needed.... :? :? I'll have to look into that one further.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby bluewillow » Mar 07, 2008 11:13 am

...and most sponges are made of cellulose and you are correct Lyn ... they do have a problem of holding water.

bw

Yep, tomatoes and cukes .. containers. Hoping to grow the long burpless, seedless cukes.
bluewillow

Postby dlb » Mar 08, 2008 11:29 am

LeeInEdmonton wrote:Have also used them with 1/2" rebar & plunk them in amoungst shrubs with the pots about 2 - 3 ft. above the ground to give a burst of color amongst predominately green areas. Kinda fun to fool around with pots such as buried in the ground under junipers & evergreens where plants don't much like to be, & this also gives color that otherwise would not exist.

Lee

I know someone who does this with a stack of 3-4 containers, with the largest one on the bottom and the smallest on top. She gets a threaded bar, drills holes in the pots, then screws on a nut and one of those flat round thingies (can't think of the word right now - looks like a CD but smaller and out of metal. They're used as a buffer between nuts or screws and wood. ARRGH) This supports the largest pot on the bottom. Then she puts another nut/?/pot another foot or so up and so on. She usually plants in petunias or other such plants.
Dora
dlb

Postby Eeyore » Mar 09, 2008 1:17 am

washer??? I've seen that arrangement and it looks rather cool.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby dlb » Mar 09, 2008 10:19 am

Yes! Thank you.
Dora
dlb

Postby Eeyore » Mar 09, 2008 11:09 am

Don't you hate those moments when you know exactly what you want to say and it's right there on the tip of your brain but you can't remember the words? :lol: :lol:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

PreviousNext

Return to Container Gardening