Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

I need to know right now...

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Postby dlb » Mar 09, 2008 2:21 pm

Actually last year, I took out the dead plants, took out the third to half of soil I take out (except for clay pots - I empty them completely and turn them upside down) and used the soil to supplement the winter mulch. I'll work it in this spring. There's a lot of 'fluff' (perlite and peat usually) in container soils so it should work well as a soil amendment to clay soil.

Dora
dlb

Postby Eeyore » Mar 09, 2008 7:02 pm

I would think so Dora....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby kelly_m » Mar 09, 2008 7:30 pm

I agree on that one!!!

It may not be reused in pots, but it certainly gets re-used in the gardens!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby benjimum » Mar 13, 2008 12:59 am

I move my plants about in my greenhouse and the pots I have are large and very heavy. so I discovered styrofoam blocks. I use the styrofoam that you find inside parcels and wrapped around electronic stuff you buy. Its light, and it takes up space and works for drainage, and what better way to recycle it, since it doesnt break down in land fills. It will make you pots light and work just like rocks as far as I can tell.

By the way I have a 10 x 30 greenhouse attached to my garage and I use large rubbermaid containers with holes drilled in the bottom for my planters. I also dump out the soil, or at least the top half, and add compost to it.
benjimum

Postby haili » Mar 13, 2008 12:09 pm

A lot of my old container soil gets spread on the lawn or flowerbeds as I have clay soil. When I used to compost, it would get layered in the compost with kitchen waste and manure. No room or enough sun here for a composter and I miss it. I have used compost mixed in with old container soil and it worked well in planters.
haili

Postby Lizcordysmum » Mar 17, 2008 7:01 pm

Last year's pot soil goes into the garden beds, mixed with compost, and gets used the year after this one back into the pots...here.

DayLily, here only the very top inch freezes in the winter. My biggest problem is all of the rains we get autumn, winter, and spring...it depletes the finest of soils...this is why I add sheep-shhh fall and spring...and still feed plants Miracle Gro or 20 20 20.

Franky...eggplants in containers? THANK YOU! I will go container-mad again this year!

Balcony people had better watch the weight-bearing thingie for balconies if they have a lot of pots, kept well-watered. It's not just snow-packed roofs that are dangerous!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Ocean » Mar 22, 2008 11:16 pm

lol~ just found this thread!!! great posts!!!! very helpful indeed!!! :D
Ocean

Postby Lizcordysmum » Mar 22, 2008 11:24 pm

Ocean, they used to say about me if I got a speck of dirt in my eye, I would plant something in it...now "they" roll around in the dirt (sorry JohnV - I mean "tilth") laughing at some of the stuff that happens to me/the things I say. but they laugh kindly, bless their hides! always a helper out there.

Your avatar is GREAT!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Pansy » Mar 22, 2008 11:58 pm

When I plant in containers (I like my Lettuce in a container)

the slugs don't seem to be such a problem in containers.

Thought I'd tell you all...I picked up a pk. of very large coffee

filters,they work great in the bottom of the pots to keep the

soil in.A garage sale find,so not expensive either. :lol:
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Postby Lizcordysmum » Mar 23, 2008 12:01 am

okay, will add these...TA!!!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum