Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Azalea help

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Azalea help

Postby Jade » Jul 23, 2008 11:31 am

I couldn't resist buying myself a beautiful azalea plant yesterday. Trouble is...I don't know how to keep it happy. If anyone out there has experience with azaleas PLEASE send me some advice. Thanks.
Jade

Postby DebbieC » Jul 23, 2008 12:27 pm

They like bright light to partial shade, cool, humid, and airy. Water freely in summer with soft water and fertilize once a week with azalea food(miracid?) In winter keep a little direr but definately requires a cool room. Good luck.
DebbieC

Postby sunkeeper » Jul 23, 2008 1:09 pm

I take it that it is a houseplant azalea. There is a perennial form also.
Scarborough,Ont. Zone 6A Lorraine
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn
sunkeeper

Postby Jade » Jul 24, 2008 12:49 am

It is an indoor plant. Hmm, how to find a bright but cool room in the summer? Maybe I should have researched it first!
Jade

Postby sunkeeper » Jul 24, 2008 11:20 am

Hi Jade, They prefer high light without direct sun. Azaleas prefer to be consistently moist. They are acid lovers, so what you can do is slightly acidify by adding l tbsp of vinegar to a gallon of water. They also like high humidity. You can put a tray under it with some water. Also when they are not in bloom you can mist.
Purchase miracid at half strength then let the plant rest without feeding for a month or two in mid summer.
Provide a well drained peat based potting soil.
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn
sunkeeper

Postby Jade » Jul 24, 2008 12:58 pm

Sounds alot like the requirements for gardenias, which I absolutely love, but have never had huge succes with. In Calgary - we "ain't got humidity". Maybe I'll try it in the bathroom wher there is lots of light from a skylight.
Jade

Postby sunkeeper » Jul 24, 2008 4:56 pm

Hi Jade, That would be a nice place for it! It would definitely get humidity there.
sunkeeper

Return to Indoor Plants