Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Rubber tree plant

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Rubber tree plant

Postby KK » Aug 29, 2008 3:50 pm

I have a rubber tree plant. It is getting really tall and kinda "slim"...I would like to prune it...any suggestion of the best way / time to do it? Thanks in advance!
KK

Re: Rubber tree plant

Postby rosie » Aug 29, 2008 4:11 pm

I have several rubber tree plants and when they get too tall I cut the top off to the height I want it and stick the part cut off into the same pot. The old stock will branch off and the new one will continue to grow. I have started a couple of new plants for my friends this way. Just stick the cut off portion in the soil and water a little. It does not take long to root.
This way you can either make the pot full or throw out the old and start a new one. Watch the white liquid that bleeds out of the plant as it is quite sticky and messy. I blot with a paper towel until it stops bleeding.
A house without a garden is not a home.
rosie

Postby KK » Aug 29, 2008 10:58 pm

Thanks Rosie...great! seems easy ...will give a try :lol: hopefully, I won't kill the plant! :-)
KK

Postby rosie » Aug 30, 2008 3:53 pm

I am trying to post a pic of just what I have said. I did it 2 weeks ago, Here goes.
Attachments
rubbertree plant.jpg
rubbertree plant.jpg (19.06 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
rosie

Postby KK » Aug 31, 2008 9:38 pm

Thanks Rosie! So just simply stick the cut off part into a pot without cutting of its leaves? I am thinking how long should I cut and how many leaves should I leave on the part?
KK

Postby rosie » Sep 01, 2008 8:35 am

I usually cut a good size portion off, because the part where you cut, on the old stalk, will develop new growth which will make it heavy, I only take off the leaves that I need to, to make it easier to push it into the soil. Usually only one. If your original plant is old you can do the same thing to start new ones or wait until the old stalk starts to develop new growth and take those off to start really small plants.

I have done this many times and have never had a plant die on me. Water as you do the original plant. Good luck.
rosie

Postby KK » Sep 03, 2008 6:01 pm

Thanks Rosie...your plant looks really nice!!! That's exactly how I prefer my plant looks like...short and health! However, it just grows and grows...here how it looks like...can I simply cut it in half and stick the upper part in sand?
Attachments
CIMG0005.JPG
KK

Postby rosie » Sep 03, 2008 10:22 pm

I would be tempted to start 2 new plants and throw away the old one but if you want then cut it in half and repot the top part. The old plant will still be bare on the bottom and as far as I know they will not regrow. If the plant does not get enough bright, but not direct sun light the leaves start to drop off the bottom.
One other thing I have done is cut a good size top off, stick it in the pot and then when I know it has rooted I cut down the old one to soil level. Like I said, they are very hardy and I have not killed one yet. All mine, and I have 3 now started from one tiny little plant. I have given 2 away as well.
rosie

Postby KK » Sep 04, 2008 12:38 pm

Thank you so much Rosie! To play safe, I think I will cut and repot the upper part...leave couple leaves to the bottom part...in case the upper part doesn't survive, I still have bottom part to cut and try again...LOL!!

Appreciate your help!! :P :lol:
KK

Return to Indoor Plants