Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Low Light Area: Should I Use Artificial Plants?

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Low Light Area: Should I Use Artificial Plants?

Postby artificialtreesandplants » Sep 06, 2008 12:06 pm

I have a low light indoor area and I can't seem to keep my plants alive. I am contemplating silk plants and trees. Any suggestions other than going to artificial plants?

This site seems to have nice artificial plants and trees.
artificialtreesandplants

Re: Low Light Area: Should I Use Artificial Plants?

Postby KK » Sep 06, 2008 2:02 pm

Actually, you can try Jade plant or English ivy...they can tolerate low light!
KK

Postby artificialtreesandplants » Sep 06, 2008 7:19 pm

Thanks KK. I will check them out.

Is this similar to an English Ivy
artificialtreesandplants

Postby tawnan » Sep 09, 2008 1:50 pm

You should try a mother-in-law tongue or Sansevieria trifasciata if you want the technical name for it. I have had two of them in dark corners for several years and there is no killing them! They will grow quite large too.
tawnan

Postby sunkeeper » Sep 10, 2008 8:56 pm

Always remember when watering your indoor plants to insert a finger into the soil about 1 inch if it comes out dry then water. Take your plant to the sink and let the water run right through the bottom of the pot. Because the plants are dormant in winter do not fertilize. Also occassionally take your plants to the shower. This will remove dust and make your plant healthy. Watch for any bug infestation and act quickly. I place those little yellow sticky papers which catches most of the little critters.You can also use insecticidal soap. [color=#4080FF]I have snake plant, chinese evergreen, and cast iron plant. All three are great low light plants. Actually I have them in my basement. http://www.canadiangardening.com/plants/indoor-plants/goof-proof-houseplants/a/1443?action=create_bookmark&assetType=article&assetId=1443&siteId=29
Scarborough,Ont. Zone 6A Lorraine
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn
sunkeeper

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Oct 25, 2008 9:10 pm

The only place I have artificial plants is on a lattice shelf above my kitchen sink. After trying to keep a Boston Fern alive (up there) for over a year, I finally gave up and bought a fake one. In this spot, there is hardly any air movement and little light, so it really was a losing battle. I prefer live plants because they help clean the air and look better, but in some instances, artificial ones make sense. As mentioned, there are lots of plants that will thrive on low light, it's just a matter of finding ones you like.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby jeffrichard » Aug 30, 2013 2:58 am

Yes its possible.You can try.
jeffrichard

Return to Indoor Plants