Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Growing a Daulphin Violet inside?

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Growing a Daulphin Violet inside?

Postby evepet » Nov 09, 2008 11:05 am

I had two nice Dauphin Violet plants growing in containers on my balcony, and I've transplanted them and have them inside. They both look a little leggy, but seem to otherwise be doing relatively well. I'm wondering what I should do to best keep them well over the winter?

Here's a couple of pictures. I'm wondering whether I should get a larger container and transplant both of them into one larger pot? All comments are more than welcome.
Attachments
IMG_0571.JPG
This is the less leggy of the two...
IMG_0570.JPG
This one has grown quite leggy....
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Re: Growing a Daulphin Violet inside?

Postby evepet » Nov 09, 2008 4:36 pm

:lol: I got in a rush and decided to go ahead and do radical surgery. Took the best branches off both plants, cleaned them up and put them in water in my eastern exposure window. I hope that they'll root. (Hmm... maybe this wasn't the best time of year to do this?) Oh well - fingers crossed. :oops:
Attachments
IMG_0584.JPG
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby orchidguy » Nov 09, 2008 7:56 pm

Evepet

Your streptocarpella will make an excellent house plant. They do not need excessive humidity and do well in a less than ideal exposure (east being the best). They will continue to bloom throughtout the winter months and can be reused in planters outside in the summer again. Your cuttings should have roots by December, and potted on. I would wait to transplant your "mother" plant in the spring where you will see an increase of growth. Hope this answered some of your questions.
orchidguy

Postby evepet » Nov 10, 2008 11:30 am

Thanks orchidguy. I appreciate your help.
evepet

Return to Indoor Plants