Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

watering globes

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

watering globes

Postby elizabeth24 » Feb 19, 2009 12:59 am

I have two watering globes, one red and one blue. ( I forget the proper name.) Is it okay to use them all the time, or will my plants end up with root rot?
Please let me know.
elizabeth24
elizabeth24

Re: watering globes

Postby bluelacedredhead » Feb 19, 2009 7:30 am

I have a couple of sizes of self waterers. One was a Christmas gift two years ago. I believe it came from Lee Valley Tools. Lately, I've seen some blown glass globes advertised 2/pkg lately in hardware/department stores. I'm assuming you've purchased one of these and are now having second thoughts about using them?

I have used one for two years now in a large Boston Fern. On average, I fill it weekly. We had electric baseboard heat with a woodstove in our last house. The globe emptied out faster in winter due to the dryness in the house. In summer, being very humid near the Great Lakes, I found it often went up to two weeks before I had to refill it.

It's gravity fed and empties as the soil dries so I don't expect you would have to worry about root rot, but someone else might have different experiences with these.
bluelacedredhead

Postby mebbie » Mar 26, 2009 3:50 pm

Hi- I have one of these globes, but I find the soil clogs the narrow stem and prevents the water from discharging. Apparently the last poster doesn't have this problem. Is there a secret ? Or does it work only when the soil is completely dry?
mebbie

Postby bluelacedredhead » Mar 26, 2009 4:13 pm

The opening on mine is about the size of my little finger. Is the tube smaller on your globe perhaps?
Something else I'm wondering about it what type of soil is in the pot? Is it a commercially prepared potting soil or garden soil that would compact easily?

I do get soil in the tube when it is put in the pot, but the water does disperse. It's a slow process, over the course of say two weeks. And I water the fern heavily at least once during that time period.

Hope this helps.
bluelacedredhead

Postby elizabeth24 » Sep 02, 2009 1:30 pm

What I am also wondering about is, Is is okay to use them in the winter? The plants usually don't need as much water then. Yes, I also loose soil every time I refill the globe. I know I have used indoor plant soil, but can't remember what type. Thanks for letting me know.
elizabeth24

Return to Indoor Plants