Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

how to get Kalanchoe plant to flower

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

how to get Kalanchoe plant to flower

Postby Hilary » Feb 27, 2009 2:27 pm

i was given a very nice planted Sliegh for Christmas and one of the plants was a Kalanchoe plant. I love these little plants but I have never been able to get them to flower again. They will thrive on benign neglect and have great glossy leaves and grow into nice bushy plants but no flowers after the first ones have gone.

Is there a certain light that they need or less water at times? I would like to suceed with this one if possible.
Hilary
Hilary

Re: how to get Kalanchoe plant to flower

Postby Lindamct » Feb 27, 2009 3:31 pm

Hi Hilary! This flowering tropical plant needs those flowering spikes in the soil. Make sure the spikes are for flowering house plants. This is my experience with them. One I had years ago didn't rebloom. I was told to use the spikes, following the directions of how many spikes and how often. They do work. They love lots and lots of sunshine. Hope this helps. :D
Lindamct

Postby Hilary » Feb 27, 2009 3:52 pm

thanks for that. I must admit I am very bad about feeding my house plants so that would explain a lot. And i was thinking of repooting it in it's own pot so it can go in the sun room.

And looking at another post about this plant I''ll make sure to put it in a smallish pot.

I'll post results if I get them.
[/size] :P
Hilary
Hilary

Postby sunkeeper » Apr 15, 2009 10:50 pm

Kalanchoe – The kalanchoe is actually a succulent that bears a canopy of red, orange,
yellow, or salmon flowers above thick, waxy, green leaves. Dozens of star-shaped
blossoms make up each flower head. Choose a plant with most of the flowers still
unopened not one in full bloom. Keep the plant in a location with bright light. Like
most plants that flower in the winter, kalanchoes grow best where it is cool. Night
temperatures of about 50-60 oF will keep it in flower for a long time. Water the plant
when the top half of the soil feels dry to the touch. Since this plant is a succulent, it can
survive through dry periods better than when the soil is too wet. With average care, a
kalanchoe can be kept for another season of bloom. Shift the plant to a larger pot when
it becomes rootbound. Fertilize at 2-3 week intervals and continue to water when the
soil dries out. You can place the plant outside during the summer in a protected place.
Since the kalanchoe forms its flower buds under short day conditions, it should receive
only natural light from the time it is brought indoors in early fall until buds show.
Scarborough,Ont. Zone 6A Lorraine
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn
sunkeeper

Return to Indoor Plants