Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

New plants

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Re: New plants

Postby davefrombc » Oct 17, 2009 12:54 pm

Pineapples are very easy to grow. Take the top off a super market pineapple, include a little of the flesh . Then pull off the flesh to the core and about an inch of the bottom leaves. Let it dry and callus for a day and plant in good potting soil. Keep it moist , but not wet .
I have also started pineapples by just cutting the top off with a bit of the pineapple left on to hold it up and placed in a dish with some support for the leaves. I kept the bottom with the meat and a bit of the stem covered in water , and as the meat rotted , the stem developed rootlets; and from there the plant was potted up as usual. Given sun and a very large pot, the pineapple will grow into a large plant, and in about 2 years or so produce a pineapple .Pineapple plants only produce one fruit and then declines and dies. However,
you can use the top for another generation; and if the plant is maintained, daughter plants will develop from the base as the parent plant dies back. Here is a picture of the parent plant with a daughter plant growing from its base, and ready to be transplanted to its own pot.
This pineapple was grown in a 6" pot on a west facing windowsill.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Eeyore » Oct 17, 2009 9:36 pm

Thanks Dave, I'll give it a try.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Lulu » Oct 18, 2009 8:54 am

Dave, I too, love the unusual plants and have grown or tried to grow a lot of different things. I have, in the past, grown a pineapple plant from the stump, but this time, I got a little pineapple plant @ Rona, about a month ago, on clearance, for $6.00. Have to admit, I have been ignoring it, as I've been busy hauling stuff in from outdoors, so, a few of the leaves are dried out.

At the time, the pineapple was very green, but has since turned yellow, but for whatever reason, I didn't think it would be edible; figured it was an ornamental plant only??

I've also bought a coconut plant at that same Rona, and again, on clearance; kept it alive for over two years, but, it succumbed, due to neglect, around the time of my son's wedding last year. Saw them again this time @ Rona, but, they weren't on sale, ,so, , no go!
Attachments
coconut tree.JPG
MVC-855S.JPG
Lulu

Postby Eeyore » Oct 18, 2009 11:12 pm

Way too cool Lulu! :o Gonna have to try this! Hubby wants to grow a coconut.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby orchidguy » Oct 30, 2009 12:13 am

Great collection of plants Dave

although quite easy to grow, your Camellia sinensis plants are going to need a deep pot. They have almost a tap root to them, and quickly outgrow their pots vertically (I hope that made sense)
Always look forward to your posts, and your new conquests in the plant world.
orchidguy

Postby Jeannie » Dec 08, 2009 4:18 pm

When making remarks about a plant, one is usually speaking of normal size, or at least a size that befits the average home, perhaps a windowsill or table. But when confronted by pictures such as you show, it puts a whole new light on the matter.
Those things are beautiful, and look to be in VERY good health. A cup or two of brew I offered --then I see we're talking about inviting the koffee klatch over for a tea.

Most definitely, a solarium can help..
Jeannie

Postby neng_perea » Mar 27, 2010 2:12 am

Dave, your very patient and a good gardener.Thank you for sharing maybe someday I will try too.

Lulu, your coconut tree need to plant the whole coconut cover with soil but still Okay for a while. I have some pictures to share.
Attachments
img278.jpg
This picture was taken in Corrigidor Island, those are Coconut tree.
img279.jpg
Grow taller like this.
img112.jpg
This was taken in Philippines 1988, my motor boat.
IMG_0281.JPG
Sept. 2007
IMG_0277.JPG
I was born in this community called Munting Mapino in english Small Fine.
neng_perea

Postby ViridianFields » Apr 09, 2010 1:39 am

I've been keeping my eye open for one of the true dwarf citrus trees, I read an article about them a few years ago and the only cultivar I can remember the name of was the 'Improved Meyer' lemon, but there was a tangerine, orange, lime, and kumquat mentioned in the article also.

I'm considering growing cape gooseberries indoors, and have strawberry seedlings in the bay window right now. Maybe I'll pot a few of those and try them on the windowsill this winter, hmm...
Calvin

Creighton, SK - Zone 1b, but don't tell the Delphiniums. Zone 4 for them. :lol:
ViridianFields

Postby davefrombc » Apr 09, 2010 1:55 pm

Haven't posted for quite a while .. My cacao didn't appreciate the chill in the solarium and died when it dropped to 7C ( 45 F) during the few cold snaps we had last winter. The tea, coffee, avocado and other tropicals all take those minimums ok , but unfortunately cacao isn't as hardy, so anything under about 15 C (60 F) will severely harm or kill it . Soooo.. Gotta write off cacao in my solarium .. It's just too expensive to maintain it at 15 C minimums in winter.
The Meyer lemon is a good dwarf citrus for windowsill growing .. There is a dwarf Kumquat , but I can't tell you the name. You can also grow Key Lime, Bearss Lime and Kaffir limes ( Kaffir lime leaves are used in several Asian cooking recipes)
The most common dwarf orange found in nurseries is the Calamondin orange. It's fruit is small and tart , but edible and can be made into jam or marmalades.
One interesting lemon ( actually a citron/lemon hybrid) is the Ponderosa lemon.. It grows huge , but very mild fruit the size of grapefruit . The biggest Ponderosa lemon weighed 5 pounds ( a little over 2.2 Kg)
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Previous

Return to Indoor Plants