Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Anyone know what kind of plant this is?

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Anyone know what kind of plant this is?

Postby Garden Gnome » Nov 25, 2009 7:36 pm

I bought this plant from the grocery store and it didn't say what kind of plant it was. I've had it for about a month or so and it's doing well. I know that it is a succulent and possibly some kind of sedum but if anyone could give me any more info about what type of plant it is, it would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a couple pics:

http://img20.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dscn1060i.jpg

Thanks.
Garden Gnome

Re: Anyone know what kind of plant this is?

Postby orchidguy » Nov 26, 2009 12:25 am

Garden Gnome

Your plant looks like a crassula.(perfoliata maybe???) . The leaves dont look bluish enough for perfoliata var. minor, but they are the same shape. Has the plant been growing in a lot of light, or has it stretched to a light source? Just curious
orchidguy

Postby Garden Gnome » Nov 26, 2009 9:20 am

The plant has been growing in an eastern facing window, so it gets bright, indirect light all day. It looks like it has been stretching a bit towards the light, but I don't have any windows that can give it more light than it's already getting.
Garden Gnome

Postby Eeyore » Nov 26, 2009 10:50 am

So that's what it is! Mine is in a south facing window and doing beautifully. The leaves that drop off will start new plants if left sitting on top of the soil.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Garden Gnome » Nov 26, 2009 3:20 pm

@ Eeyore: Since we both have the same type of plant, any tips for taking care of it? I've had it for about a month and it's doing well, but it's always good to get as much info about the care of a plant as possible.

Even if I don't find out exactly how to care for it, I figure as long as I keep it in the eastern facing window and only water it once every month in winter and once every two weeks in summer that it will thrive.
Garden Gnome

Postby Eeyore » Nov 26, 2009 5:09 pm

I'm actually quite a neglectful waterer and mine gets about 2 tbsps of water every 2 weeks. I have to turn it every once in awhile to keep it kind of even.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Garden Gnome » Nov 26, 2009 6:10 pm

Thanks for the tip, Eeyore :D

Actually, mine is reaching a little towards the window... I should probably turn it I guess. Haha.
Garden Gnome

Postby Eeyore » Nov 26, 2009 7:53 pm

yes, turn it once a week or so. It will eventually begin to vine.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby Maralyn45 » Sep 06, 2010 9:37 am

Great...
Maralyn45

Return to Indoor Plants