Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Plant ID Please

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Plant ID Please

Postby earwig » Apr 12, 2010 8:03 pm

When I was at my place of employment today I took a photo of a plant that we do not know the name of but does rather well. In fact it looks quite alien like. Note the flower.
img_0803.jpg
There are two there and this one has not got a flower but looks like it is growing legs. (click for larger photo)
img_0802.jpg

So I told them I knew where we would get an answer as I am sure someone here can tell me what it is.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Re: Plant ID Please

Postby kelly_m » Apr 12, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi Betty...it looks like a Begonia to me. which one? I haven't a guess!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby earwig » Apr 13, 2010 5:37 am

Thanks Kelly, that was suggested but after searching begonias, we could not find one that matched. Some were close in the foliage and one was close to the flower but none matched the flower and the leaf.

The foliage looked like Begonia 'Cleopatra' or 'Maple Leaf' Begonia but I have not found any that show flowers like what is on this one.

But after saying the above I went back to my pictures to get the one I zoomed in closer of the flowers and realized after cropping, the flowers don't look quite what I thought from standing below and looking way up at them. There is a pinkish hue and not as spray like as I thought.

Now I am thinking Cleopatra begonia. Thanks Kelly, for getting me to take a second look.
Attachments
img_0804.jpg
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby davefrombc » Apr 13, 2010 12:43 pm

Sorry I can't id it for you beyond saying it is supposed to be a begonia. I remember my grandmother having one when I was young.. It was a huge thing that liked very bright light , but not full sun. It's been a long tie since I last saw one .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby ViridianFields » Apr 14, 2010 11:09 pm

There are hundreds (perhaps thousands) of Begonia varieties and not all of them have names. Definitely a Begonia though.
Calvin

Creighton, SK - Zone 1b, but don't tell the Delphiniums. Zone 4 for them. :lol:
ViridianFields

Postby earwig » Apr 17, 2010 7:24 am

Thanks Calvin and Dave.

I did discover why more than I expected when I went searching to see which one it might be. It lives in a library, way up on the top shelf so lots of light from the windows but not direct sun.
Betty
earwig

Postby kelly_m » Apr 17, 2010 4:39 pm

I went searching for an ID to my begonia, and my eyes went buggy just looking at the different types, not just the individual ones!!! Mine has large round burgundy leaves with similar flowers, though more pink than yours.

they sit in front of a huge picture window that lets in loads of westerly light, but I believe it is the coolness that helps promote the flowers. (at least that's what my mom told me!)

I got mine from one cutting of my mom's that always sat on the front porch beside the front door in an old fireplace grate in the summer, not much sun, and never flowered as far as I know.

In the past 3 years the only time it does not flower is between about dec to Feb. Flowered earlier this year and will re-flower once I put it back outside on my front porch.
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby rosie » Apr 18, 2010 7:14 am

I was told years ago that allowing flowers to stay on a begonia would harm the plant. So, I have always cut mine off. So you all let them stay and no problems?
A house without a garden is not a home.
rosie

Postby ViridianFields » Apr 23, 2010 3:25 am

Only if the plant is weak, some will bloom themselves to death. As long as the plant is healthy and grows well there should be no problem.

And indeed, cool night temperatures will promote blooming (as with many plants) :wink:
Calvin

Creighton, SK - Zone 1b, but don't tell the Delphiniums. Zone 4 for them. :lol:
ViridianFields

Postby kelly_m » Apr 23, 2010 9:01 am

rosie wrote:I was told years ago that allowing flowers to stay on a begonia would harm the plant. So, I have always cut mine off. So you all let them stay and no problems?

I did not know that!!! Apparently neither does my begonia!!

One of them got completely dug up and dumped this winter, thanks to a new pup, but it has comeback and flowered same time as the other one!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Next

Return to Indoor Plants