Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

How to cut dead material off hibiscus?

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

How to cut dead material off hibiscus?

Postby Emma78 » Apr 27, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi,

I bought a hibiscus last summer, have it potted indoors (not even sure if you are really supposed to do that, but since I live in an apartment, there it is) and it slowly succumbed to spider mites. I had given up on it, and was going to get rid of it but then it resurrected.

The dead parts are one main thick "trunk" and 4 branches coming off that (they are basically like dry brown wood/twigs). 3 new shoots have sprouted out from the soil from right beside the main trunk.

Do I cut the dead parts off, and where? Right at the trunk at the level of the soil, or higher than that? I don't know anything about this, so do I have to cut on an angle, spread any protectant stuff on it, etc.?
Emma78

Re: How to cut dead material off hibiscus?

Postby joan w » Apr 27, 2010 3:46 pm

I don't think you have to worry too much about where you cut as being sure that the spider mites are gone. I would scrape off the top soil and replace it with fresh,
Image Image
joan w

Postby ViridianFields » Apr 28, 2010 1:10 am

Damn spider mites, I'm battling them myself but it seems the plants can live with a certain level of infestation (though I did toss a Thunbergia hybrid).

You can prune Hibiscus back to about 3" from soil level if you need to, and you can cut back to a main trunk if you like, the plant will regrow. Actually, Hibiscus benefit from regular trimming anyhow so this isn't a bad idea (flowers are produced on new growth). I agree that the surface soil should be replaced after pruning to help get rid of the mites, a jet of water or sponging of the leaves (top and bottom) once or twice a week will help also.
Calvin

Creighton, SK - Zone 1b, but don't tell the Delphiniums. Zone 4 for them. :lol:
ViridianFields

Postby joan w » Apr 28, 2010 9:08 am

A thriving hibiscus should not be pruned in the late winter or spring time if you want flowers.
In this case you have no choice but don't expect flowers until perhaps next winter, which is a nice time to have some of these beautiful blooms.
Image Image
joan w

Return to Indoor Plants