Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Brown leaves - why? Chinese Evergreen/Aglaonema & Fern/Palm

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Brown leaves - why? Chinese Evergreen/Aglaonema & Fern/Palm

Postby jtmann » Dec 17, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi

I have Chinese Evergreen/Aglaonema and Palm/Fern (?) - some of the tips have started to curl and turn brown. Here are links to some pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57122729@N07/5265936931/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57122729@N07/5265937059/

Both these plants I water once per week. Most times with some common houseplant fertilizer mixed in the water. The daytime temp of the rooms they are in is around 63 degrees, 68-70 at night

Any ideas on what is causing these problems?

Thanks!!
jtmann

Re: Brown leaves - why? Chinese Evergreen/Aglaonema & Fern/Palm

Postby jtmann » Dec 18, 2010 1:50 pm

One more question - re: the existing brown tips on the chinese evergreen, should I cut the brown tips off? Or will they become green again? In the past when I have cut brown tips off the edges where the cut is get brown/crusty, but maybe I am not doing it right?
jtmann

Postby orchidguy » Dec 18, 2010 5:50 pm

jt

There can be many reasons for the browning tips on both these plants. Some of the possibilites are

1) being in direct flow of either a draft or heating source
2) could be a reaction to chlorine in the water used (can be allieviated by letting water sit for 24 hours before using)
3) drying out periods or kept too wet
4) our winter air tends to be dry with our heating systems
5) aglaonema cv's although great houseplants do have a tendency for its lower leaves to yellow and fall off.
6) overfertilization........during winter months most plants are not putting enough root growth out to use any fertilization, at which point they start to rot

You can cut the dead parts from the leaves, but a "scar" will form along the cut. Those dead, brown leaves will not turn green again, so it is a matter of choice whether you cut them or not. I always crumble dead ends on leaves until I get to the healthy green part

Sorry I havent been more helpful, but like I said, the browning of the tips of leaves is only a symptom of many things that can induce this
Good luck, and let us know how they are doing
orchidguy

Postby huayanqiaoyu » Dec 29, 2010 8:58 am

imchinese ,but icant see your pitures
huayanqiaoyu

Postby Tony O » Dec 29, 2010 4:55 pm

Clicking on the links, it sas the photos have been dele :? ted.
Tony O

Return to Indoor Plants