Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

self watering planters

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

self watering planters

Postby malik foreman » Jan 20, 2011 3:00 pm

hey!everybody
i am looking for selfwatering planters to save my plants from dying....i am always away and i have nobody to take care of them?
help
malik foreman

Re: self watering planters

Postby CdnChelsea » Jan 21, 2011 10:18 pm

There are some self-watering containers available at Canadian Tire Stores and I have also found some in Walmart and Zellers.
They have a water reservoir at the bottom of the pot and a wicking system which provides water whenever the soil starts to dry out. The reservoir has an opening on the side of the container so you can add water when the reservoir runs out of water.

I'm not 100% positive on how long between filling the reservoir with water would be but I am guessing it would be a week or so.

Hopefully, this bit of information will help you. Good luck! :)

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby cable24601 » Jul 30, 2012 6:02 pm

How big are you looking for? You can also make you own quite easy if you want here is a link to one that I built. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t9gfWhZLEo
Visit my blog at http://www.getforked.ca
cable24601

Postby AdamB » Aug 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Yep, self watering containers will help your plants alive while you’re away. Check the link from cable24601 :)
AdamB

Postby Jersm » Aug 27, 2012 8:58 am

I personally have created all my own self watering pots. sofar ive got sugar snaps carrots letus and a string bean plant growing in custom made pots.

the pletus is not extremely rooty so it acutally fits in a 2L bottle. For larger plants like sugar snaps i literaly used old storage containers.

there are acutally thousands of types of self watering containers online you can get a tutorial to create. its surprisingly easy to create them with random stuff around the house.
Jersm

Postby hotsummerone » Aug 27, 2012 10:17 pm

Is this now the trends it?
hotsummerone

Postby Dumbo » Sep 01, 2012 1:28 am

hotsummerone define pi
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby donita_griffith » Jan 03, 2013 7:33 am

There are only a few shops that sells self watering plants as I tried to find one before. There are some that sells online, but most of my friends would go for self-made planters. It's easy to make and it is also cheaper. You can also try using water beads if your plants grow indoor. They can be a good alternative to planters and those beads keep plants hydrated for a long period of time. You won't have to worry that you forgot to water them.
donita_griffith

Postby Peggy2296 » Jan 05, 2013 6:44 pm

I made a self-watering pot by buying the wicks for oil lamps, sold in any hardware store. Stick one end of it into the bottom drainage hole and put the other end into a container of water. The wicks are very absorbant and work well.
Peggy2296

Return to Indoor Plants