Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Dracaena ID and propagation help

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Dracaena ID and propagation help

Postby YorkieLvr » Apr 24, 2011 5:57 pm

I've been told that this plant is a Corn Plant (aka Dracaena fragrans 'massangeana') but I don't ever see yellow stripes down the center of the leaves. Is it this type of Dracaena or not?

This winter it got watered too much (well-meaning family member) and a whole bunch of the leaves on the taller cane turned yellow and then brown so I cut them off - close to the cane. Some of the leaves on the shorter cane also responded the same and I cut those off, too. In March, I took the plant out of the soil it was in and repotted it (same pot) with new soil, after cleaning up the root system.

Is there any hope for this plant or will it continue to lose the leaves? I pulled all the dark and dry pieces off the canes that were left after I cut the leaves off and that is what shows up nice and green. Should I chop off the shorter cane and, using rooting compound, try to plant it in another pot?

I rescued this plant and now I am so scared that I am going to lose it!! Argh!!! The watering is now every week to 10 days depending on the feel of the soil and it sits in front of a large window with sheers to keep it protected from direct sunlight.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! I pray I can save this beautiful baby!
IMG_0449.JPG

Here is a closer look at the canes:
IMG_0450.JPG
YorkieLvr

Re: Dracaena ID and propagation help

Postby Eeyore » Apr 25, 2011 3:48 pm

I'm no expert on houseplants but I'd say yes, this is a dracena. Not all corn plants get the varieagated leaves.

the stalks look healthy so that's a good sign. How did the roots look when you repotted it? Were they brown and mushy or did they look nice and healthy? If they are healthy leave it alone and don't overwater or fertilize it for now. If not then you'll want to take a cutting to start a new plant. The best way to propogate is to air layer. You can look up the process on the internet.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby YorkieLvr » Apr 26, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, Lyn!! Most of the roots were very dry but those that were thicker and closest to the plant were nice and healthy looking. I used a small, very lightweight, paintbrush to clean up all the dirt caught in the roots and pulled some of the old dry roots off. Since it has been repotted, I haven't had to tear off any more brown (or yellow) leaves. I have watered it very sparingly and there are new shoots coming in the top leaves of both branches. :) Certainly hopeful that it is going to survive!!

I have seen the air layering technique explained online and I think I will try that after we get moved. That will be June 4th so I will leave it be for a month to get accustomed to the new home and then try the air layering.

Also, I saw (online) some talk of rooting parts of leaves. What do you think of that method of propagating this plant?

Thanks again for your help! Barbara
YorkieLvr

Postby Eeyore » Apr 26, 2011 11:38 pm

That's good news Barb! Glad to hear it is surviving. If you don't want to cut the plant then for sure, try the leaf cuttings. I've never done it myself and am not sure how it will work but I've never been known to shirk away from a good try at something.

BTW - Welcome! :D
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby YorkieLvr » May 06, 2011 11:53 am

Hi Lyn Thanks for the encouragement. Now I have to read online about doing that type of propagation. It w/b nice if I can get back to the original page I found. LOL If it works I might remember to post back here about it!
YorkieLvr

Return to Indoor Plants