Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Coleus (Solenostemon scutellarioides)

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Coleus (Solenostemon scutellarioides)

Postby angelinaottawa » Oct 24, 2011 6:34 pm

Coeus (Solenostemon scutellarioides)

I am new to coleus, any tips, advice?

Does anyone bring cuttings in for houseplant, or save for next spring? Tried germinating from seeds?

I did not have any this season, but at the end of it, I have lots of cuttings, put in small putting pots in my shelf in the basement. My friend said I can make these plants into houseplants, and give it light.
So far after rooting them in water, now I got lots of them. I am excited that these plants are old too, like from 1800s Victorian Era.

Many cultivars mentioned, yet I have maybe 3 types:
Coleus Brilliancy
Coleus Salmon Lace
Coleus Black Dragon
Coleus Wizard Sunset

Does anyone have cuttings to share around Ottawa area?
I was told it easily breaks if mailed, so gardeners within my area would be nice source. I am interested in cuttings of the green variety.
I might end up with too much coleus next season but their are always neighbors who likes plants. :)

Thanks and hope to read your coleus advice.

Angie

Any tips advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Angelina

"A sustainable, eco-friendly community starts with you and me!"
My blog is at angelinayyz.blogspot.com
angelinaottawa

Re: Coleus (Solenostemon scutellarioides)

Postby Lulu » Oct 24, 2011 7:43 pm

Angelina, the $ store had packages of seeds @ 3/$1.00; and they are really easy to grow, and you'll get a zillion plants out of one package. I did that a few years ago, and had an awesome variety of coleus; used them everywhere I needed color, then brought lots of them in, as houseplants. Ask at the buck stores, just in case they have some left at this time of year.

Last year, I had an awesome orange colored one and another one called "Kong" I think, that I took slips off of, to start new plants; that was a total success, but, I didn't bring any in, this year.

They have to be the absolute easiest plant to start, either via seed or cuttings! And, I love the look of all the blends of colors! Good luck with your project!
Lulu

Postby CdnChelsea » Oct 25, 2011 6:23 am

Too bad we couldn't do a relay across the country with all the gardeners here. I have some beautiful Coleus that I would be willing to share. The plants (2) were brought inside this fall and some cutting were taken. They are lime green on top of the leaves and burgundy red on the underside. This is the first time I have ever seen this colour of Coleus.

coleus.JPG

I never let my Coleus bloom; the flower spikes are pinched off as they form. This makes the Coleus branch out with new growth making the plant fuller. It's the leaves I'm interested in, not the flowers.

CdnChelsea

Postby curlysue » Oct 25, 2011 8:22 pm

wow its beautiful,I have never seen one like this!!
curlysue

Postby angelinaottawa » Nov 02, 2011 6:34 pm

Hello linda,

i never thought of the $ store, but i will check em in winter.

Chelsea: that is a very interesting coleus indeed. i have not seen one like it.

An update: I purchase many packs of seeds from Ebay, different vendors. Its been 10 days, and no germination, so I will wait a little longer.

The cuttings are doing very well.

The Black Dragon did not send any leaves at all, which i thought was dead. However, I have a pot which is very transparent, and I can roots forming. So maybe, this cultivar starts with developing roots then leaves later.

The Salmon Lace ones have lots of colorful leaves which were wonderful, as I am hiting frost here, and I am kind of missing my garden now.
I will post some pictures soon..:)
Angelina

angelinaottawa

Postby angelinaottawa » Nov 13, 2011 9:52 pm

chelsea: I believe what you got is Coleus Henna. I manage to get just a slip before frost here.

here is the picture of the one I propagated indoors. Note, the color has not come out yet.

I finally got the coleus seeds to germinate after 10 days. Here are the babies...exciting project for me indoors.

If anyone get coleus seeds next season, kindly pass some over. I love the idea of germinating these babies indoors.
Angelina

angelinaottawa

Return to Indoor Plants