Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Stephanotis floribunda

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Stephanotis floribunda

Postby angelinaottawa » Nov 27, 2011 12:22 am

Houseplant: Stephanotis floribunda (Madagascar Jasmine)

I bring the plant home, a bit expensive for my taste, but Jasmine gives off this scent I cannot refuse. The leaves look like hoya carnosa, waxy.

It looks beautiful for now. Does anyone has experience on this plant? Any advice?

I am anxious and I want to keep this plant alive.
But I seem to kill my plants. I killed violets, and I am on my no. 2 for Dracena reflexa.

Here are the pictures of beautiful Steph. Don't know how long she will stay beautiful though.

Thanks in advance.

Angie
Angelina

"A sustainable, eco-friendly community starts with you and me!"
My blog is at angelinayyz.blogspot.com
angelinaottawa

Re: Stephanotis floribunda

Postby orchidguy » Nov 28, 2011 12:34 am

Angie
Your stephanotis floribunda is quite easy to take care of to ensure it's healthy growth.
It likes very bright light (south or west window) and warm, but not too hot conditions. Keep fairly moist in winter, but requires heavier watering during it's growth season.
Mine usually start to bloom heavily in the spring, with another heavy flush in the fall, but does bloom sparingly in between these times.
Unless you are using a natural fertilizer (fish emulsion...), I wouldn't feed in during the winter months.
The only bad thing I can really say about them, is they are suseptable to scale, mealybug and spider mites, so if getting a new plant, don't set it near your stephanotis until you are sure it isn't carrying any bugs.
Being from Madagascar, they prefer a very light soil mix (soiless preferable) and a 10 degree drop in temperature at night.
orchidguy

Re: Stephanotis floribunda

Postby angelinaottawa » Nov 28, 2011 11:49 am

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, currently this one is isolated. I just love the scent, and some of those really nice looking houseplant tend to die at home.

i don't know if i need to change the soil yet, but i'll let it sit here, till all the flowers are done.
Angelina

"A sustainable, eco-friendly community starts with you and me!"
My blog is at angelinayyz.blogspot.com
angelinaottawa

Return to Indoor Plants