Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Silica Sand?

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Silica Sand?

Postby CatWhat » Jan 13, 2012 4:15 pm

I have a small cactus setup and was wondering about putting Silica Sand over the soil to give it a more desert look. Not much, something like half an inch, would this be ok?
CatWhat

Re: Silica Sand?

Postby B_BQ » Jan 13, 2012 6:51 pm

The sand would eventually work its way into the soil completely - not that I think it would be a problem, after all cactus do grow in very sandy soil.
I have very small pebbles as a covering.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby hydroponics » Jan 24, 2012 9:02 am

Silica sand is one of the most common varieties of sand found in the world. It is used for a wide range of applications, and can be purchased from various suppliers throughout the world. Silica sand is used in industrial processing, to make glass, as fill, and to create molds and castings.

Sand is the general term for broken down granules of minerals or rocks, technically between about one-sixteenth of a millimeter to two millimeters in diameter, falling between silt and gravel in the spectrum of sizes. There are many varieties of sand in the world, each with their own unique composition and qualities. The white sandy beaches of iconic tropical destinations, for example, are made up primarily of limestone that has been broken down, while many black sands are either volcanic in origin or contain magnetite. Other sands have high levels of iron in them, and so are rich and yellow in color.

The most common mineral in the Earth’s continental crust is quartz, and most silica sand is made up of broken down quartz crystals. Silica is another name for silicon dioxide, SiO2, of which quartz is a specific latticed structure. So silica sand is quartz that over the years, through the work of water and wind, has been broken down into tiny granules. These granules can be used for many different purposes, and can be found in most non-tropical regions of the world.
hydroponics

Postby Eeyore » Jan 24, 2012 1:49 pm

Hi hydroponics and welcome to our site! Please note, when copying and pating information from another website that you should identify the source of the material. In this case it appears you have copied and pasted from Wisegeek. We don't mind you sharing information but please give credit where it is due.

Thanks! :D
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby orchidguy » Jan 30, 2012 8:19 pm

Hi Cat.
Welcome to the forum.
I would be a little wary of using silica sand (I believe also called sharp sand) as breathing in its dust can cause lung problems. I actually use this around some hostas outside, to deter slugs and snails.
If you go to your local hardware store, and buy a bag of sand for sandboxes, you should achieve the same look. As BBQ has stated, adding some stones to the top of the soil, or even your sand, will give it a much more natural look
Good Luck
orchidguy

Return to Indoor Plants