Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Bell Pepper plant - aphids land

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Bell Pepper plant - aphids land

Postby russell55 » Feb 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Hello

This Fall I had a Bell pepper plant that still had a few small peppers. So I dug it up put it in a large pot like 18inch high 16inch wide.

I brought it inside however I would like to note things didnt go as planned. I moved it around a bunch of times , forgot about it in a closet for a few days and was slow to find the right place to put it. It almost died but I finally ended up putting it beside my furnace room and bought a grow light for it. plus it gets a little light from the windows for about 2 hours a day.

Well after a few weeks in its new home it started to grow new leafs. All the old ones fell off and I cut a few side steams as well. The plant flourish for about a month to the point where it was bigger then it was outside and now has about 20 flowers. However here the bad news.

The plant is full of aphids. ( I think ) little white bugs I can see them all over the leaves , steams , dirt in the pot. I read on google a tip to try. 1 tsp veg oil , few drops dish soap and mixed it with 1 liter or so of water in a spray bottle.

This has been working and the aphids are much less. But I have been spraying the plant almost everyday for the last week and I still see atleast 20 aphids each morning, mostly on the dirt, Easy to see.

The plant still hasn't started a single pepper even though its been about 3 weeks since the first few flowers. None are turning to peppers. Some flower buds fall off. others turn brown and some I have no idea what happens. I am not sure what to do. Should I keep spraying the plant each day?

Also some leaves are shrivling inwards
some leaves have holes in them.

any info would be great.

Plants about 20 inch tall

Thanks
russell55

Re: Bell Pepper plant - aphids land

Postby davefrombc » Feb 23, 2012 5:35 pm

I suspect what you have is actually white fly rather than aphids. They can be controlled with your spray. Use it especially on the underside of the leaves where most of the larvae are. You can also use strips of the yellow sticky paper found in nurseries to trap adults . Aphids are usually green or blackish , while white flies are just that ... white . Aphids are usually pretty easy to eliminate , but white flies can be a real problem to get rid of completely .

It could be you are not getting peppers setting because the flowers are not getting fertilized. Peppers are self fertile, so try using a soft brush to transfer pollen off the stamens onto the pistils of the flowers. This should be done when the flower fully opens and can be repeated over a few days to try to ensure fertilization. If done too early or late in the flowers cycle it will not take properly. That is why I recommend dusting the stigmas with pollen over 2 or 3 days after the flower first opens.
Good luck .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Feb 23, 2012 5:55 pm

I've only ever used Scotts Eco-Sense Bug-B-Gone (sold everywhere ~7$).

But those homemade recipes should be adequate. The secret is what fatty acid (or oil) is used and what soap. Try a different oil or soap if the one you are using isn't good enough. Or spend the 7$.

With either, the bug has to be in contact with the spray. So if you see them, you have to squirt them. Especially squirt under the leaves.

When I had a heavy infestation 3 applications of the Scotts stuff killed them all off. I would see the odd one here and there (one or two). But they died off.

Some plants don't like to be sprayed a lot with soaps and oils. It is possible that this is what is happening to your leaf that is curling up. But we will never know for sure. This is called a phytotoxic effect, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytotoxicity.

So if this is the effect of the soap you chose, then I would stop it. Besides, you've sprayed this plant 7 times already so I would say this concoction isn't very effective.

As for the flowers... I don't know. The first thing that comes to mind is lack of soil nutrients.

I've never kept a pepper plant for a year so I don't know if this is normal, or if the plant requires a dormant period where it shouldn't flower (in case you are fertilizing it which is causing it to flower). Or maybe the light you have on it just isn't enough. Don't know...
Dumbo

Postby Smitty » Feb 24, 2012 11:09 am

I brought a hot pepper plant in last fall

mine is in south window and supplemented by gro lights. I would suspect yours is a result of it drying out..this will cause flowers to fall off....hence no fruit..

I use Shultz Insecticide from Walmart cheap and would say your bug is white fly

IMG_5756.JPG
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby russell55 » Feb 24, 2012 3:34 pm

Thanks for the info. I will give it all a try.

Russ
russell55

Return to Indoor Plants