Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

How important are hydroponic grow lights?

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Re: How important are hydroponic grow lights?

Postby Smitty » Sep 21, 2012 5:19 am

thought I would share my wee set up in the basement my grandson and I completed a few weeks back..so far everything appears to be doing ok..I used a small aquarium light set up with 2 full spectrum bulbs and a Reptiglo 2.0 UVB 26 W bulb in the light fixture in the ceiling..area is about 6x8
the yellowing leaves were starting when the plant was brought indoors..been a very dry summer in plap

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

total cost since I already had the aquarium fixture was 25 dollars :P
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Dumbo » Sep 25, 2012 1:39 am

I couldn't find all that for 25$.

I'll be surprised if that turns out to be enough light for a 6x8.

Personally I was thinking of getting a small 100W metal halide (or whatever 100W grow light i can find) in addition to the 10 full spectrum bulbs I have here. Though I would cut some blue in there.

The 10 I have was good for 4'x4' and it did well.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Smitty » Sep 25, 2012 4:41 am

If it isn't Marc..I will get hubby to bring down one of my 4 ft fluorescent fixtures from the sunroom but so far everything seems ok
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty

Postby Dumbo » Sep 25, 2012 1:06 pm

Yeah I looked into it last night. You could be right.

For veg plants you couldn't get away with that. I think there might even be formula's and calculations in the plant forum here showing the requirement for a 4x4 area (there were a few topics on this). But, I was reading for flowers or foliage type plants the requirement is less.

At least, that looks like flower and foliage type plants in your picture. So you could be right. But I have a hard time believing 2 T5's and a 23W bulb will be enough. Keep us informed. Has my interest. Never looked into it for foliage or flower type plants.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby davefrombc » Sep 25, 2012 2:31 pm

Generally , greens ( foliage) type plants take less intense lighting than flowering/fruiting types do. There may be exceptions, but here , the commercial greenhouse operations grow tomatoes, peppers and other high light and warmth loving crops from late spring through fall. Lettuce and other green crops are grown in winter when light and heat demands are lower.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Smitty » Sep 28, 2012 5:26 am

I'll keep you updated...would never put my peppers down there..the ones I overwinter are in the sunroom with the majority of the orchids and other house plants.

so far...some have dropped some leaves but this was to be expected bringing them indoors and are showing lots of signs of new growth and the big Brug in the photo opened the last of its flower buds in the basement...smelled beautiful yesterday morning when I went down to turn lights on.
Smitty

Postby michaelstone » Sep 28, 2012 8:40 am

some of these "full spectrum" lights wouldn't work?

http://www.hydrofarm.com/catalog.php?category=19

if not i might try a cfl setup ala :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs_QRorE ... plpp_video
michaelstone

Postby BradParker » Oct 09, 2013 1:51 pm

samthomas wrote:How important are hydroponic grow lights in indoor and outdoor hydroponics gardening?

Indoor vegetable gardening needs plenty of lights. Hydroponic grow lights come in a variety of types such as full-spectrum fluorescent bulbs, metal halide grow lamps, high pressure sodium lights, and high-intensity LED grow lights and it is essential to select the perfect light sensibly.

What you think?? I read this article ( Indoor And Outdoor Hydroponics Gardening ) but still im confused ...How important are hydroponic grow lights? Give your suggestions and tell me your experience.

These lights are important and effective.. I have been using these lights and I am getting better gardening outcomes..
BradParker

Postby BradParker » Oct 10, 2013 2:07 pm

BradParker wrote:
samthomas wrote:How important are hydroponic grow lights in indoor and outdoor hydroponics gardening?

Indoor vegetable gardening needs plenty of lights. Hydroponic grow lights come in a variety of types such as full-spectrum fluorescent bulbs, metal halide grow lamps, high pressure sodium lights, and high-intensity
led lighting and it is essential to select the perfect light sensibly.

What you think?? I read this article ( Indoor And Outdoor Hydroponics Gardening ) but still im confused ...How important are hydroponic grow lights? Give your suggestions and tell me your experience.

These lights are important and effective.. I have been using these lights and I am getting better gardening outcomes..
BradParker

Previous

Return to Indoor Plants