Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

white mold on terra cotta pots

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

white mold on terra cotta pots

Postby angryinsect » Jun 29, 2013 3:05 am

how do i get rid of it. can i spray it with bleach or copper sulphate to get rid of it?
angryinsect

Re: white mold on terra cotta pots

Postby Jersm » Jul 01, 2013 12:26 pm

take about and inch of soil off and replace it with some new soil its not a huge deal its happened to me before. I over watered my indoor plant and the water stayed too long.

the cause:
for mold to grow it needs 4 important factors.

1.spores (literally everywhere impossible to control)
2.food (any organic material in the soil so cant remove that)
3.good temperature. (they happen to like the same temp as humans cant control)
4.considerable moisture/humidity levels (humans prefer lower then the molds critical moisture level.)

by far by letting your soil dry out and cut back on watering, the soil will not be a suitable living area for mold to thrive. the mold loves the low light(cant beat the sun) very wet soil sometimes very humid indoor spaces.

also consider indoors it takes much longer for the water to evaporate mostly low light conditions. you see perfect examples in washrooms how mold grows good in high moisture areas that get wet for long periods of time.

or even in house repairs when you get leaking roofs or water gest inside the house and doesn't evaporate. moldy drywall, moldy insulation mostly wood you name it.

thats all the 4th factor, high moisture.
Jersm

Re: white mold on terra cotta pots

Postby angryinsect » Jul 01, 2013 4:10 pm

the mold is not on the soil but on the terracotta pots
angryinsect

Return to Indoor Plants