Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Rabbit Destroying My Plants!!!!!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Rabbit Destroying My Plants!!!!!

Postby Venice » Feb 25, 2008 5:31 pm

I'm sooo angry right now. I just looked out and my burning bush has been stripped raw!!!!! the branches are all white and have been stripped of bark. Looks like they've been at my rose bush too.

I'm so upset, I didn't think I'd have to worry about this till I put out the new fresh seedlings.

I guess all the building in the field behind us only got rid of the predators. Arrgggg. I can see pee and poo all over the snow up in the back, and Gizmo hasn't been up there in weeks.

Anway just had to vent. ( I have wire mesh around the base of my crab apples 'cause they like that too, but they've never gone after the other shrubs.)
Venice

Postby thistle » Feb 25, 2008 7:40 pm

I really feel for you,I am having the same problem :( . I do have a VERY large cat which should scare them away,in fact it is the reverse.I just know that a lot of my new growth when it comes through is not going to make it.I lost some treasured Clematis last year,it took them all year to put on a little bit of growth after being chewed down to the ground numerous time,hardly worth while keeping them.
thistle

Postby Scrapinthehat » Feb 25, 2008 11:11 pm

You can buy traps that will not harm the animal, and you can set it free after a long drive or take it to the nearest shelter...whichever is more appropriate. I caught a skunk once and the shelter wouldn't take it. A VERY long drive was in order as I didn't want to be dealing with that bandit again.
Scrapinthehat

Postby Venice » Feb 26, 2008 11:09 am

ya we might have to, but there's more then one or two I think arrgggg.

You can buy traps that will not harm the animal

ohhh ya not harming them :roll: Rabbit stew anyone??? hahahah

Ven
Venice

Postby bluewillow » Feb 26, 2008 3:07 pm

Sorry to hear Ven about your rabbits. Especially with the snow being so deep this year they can chew higher on your shrubs. Wondering if there is a wrap you could use ... anything to discourage.

bw
bluewillow

Postby erika » Mar 01, 2008 10:10 am

Put out some bird seed. They wont bother with anything else. I had problems for years ( roses,asparagus, jap maple, rose of sharon). In summer I plant a fence of letuce around veggies and let it go to seed. If you can't beat 'em.......PS they get smarter with each season
erika

Postby Venice » Mar 01, 2008 4:37 pm

I had thought of throwing out some seed/food, but hubby said we'd just attract a lot more. There used to be fields behind our house, and now they've built hundreds and hundreds of homes.

I think their natural predators have taken off but there's still a ton of bunnies, I'm afraid we'll have a population explosion. We used to see a fox now and then and some hawks, but haven't seen anything in a while, and there's not place for them to be anymore.

I also saw bunny prints going under the deck arrgggg, there's only one small place they can get in, and the bucket blocking it got moved arrggg.

Ven
Venice

Postby butterfly » Mar 01, 2008 5:05 pm

Venice wrote:I had thought of throwing out some seed/food, but hubby said we'd just attract a lot more. There used to be fields behind our house, and now they've built hundreds and hundreds of homes.

I think their natural predators have taken off but there's still a ton of bunnies, I'm afraid we'll have a population explosion. We used to see a fox now and then and some hawks, but haven't seen anything in a while, and there's not place for them to be anymore.

I also saw bunny prints going under the deck arrgggg, there's only one small place they can get in, and the bucket blocking it got moved arrggg.

Ven

For mice, voles, moles and rabbits too but I would not use pepper it will burn their eyes

http://www.qc.ec.gc.ca/ecotrucs/solutio ... nsects.htm
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Pansy » Mar 02, 2008 12:36 am

I read their favorite food is Soy Beans,so if your yard is large

enough,plant some Soy Beans & they should go there & leave

your garden alone.
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Postby erika » Mar 02, 2008 7:00 am

Venice, I forgot to mention...I know this is going to sound a little crazy but with the exception of my climbing roses, I leave my hybrd teas and bush roses exposed for the rabbits. They do all my pruning. They CUT the cane at a perfect angle then CHEW on cut piece. They don't come around till dormat, I guess they have enough in field till then. All I do is pick up where they left off in spring. Actually saves me quite a bit work. I like to think they are thanking me for the seed. You should reconsider the seed idea. Just put it as far away as possible. I get what your husband is saying, but, aren;t you kinda feeding them already. By the way, i use a sling shot to scare them, I don't hit them though. (probly could't if I tried) Works good for squirels too. Use icecubes so I'm not picking stones up in spring.
erika

Next

Return to Plant Talk