Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Questions About Garden Ponds

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Questions About Garden Ponds

Postby Denise4bOnt » Apr 06, 2008 12:01 pm

Last fall hubby dug the hole and as soon as the ground is workable, I want to get my pond underway. I went shopping recently and got my liner and a pump, I plan on putting in a small waterfalls with the soil we dug out of the hole.

I would like to put in some goldfish, do I also need a water filter?? Can I manage without one??

What water plants would be best?? Are there any I should stay away from??

This is my big project for this spring and I am so excited!! Anyone have any words of advice, do and don'ts, I'm putting a lot into this project and I don't want to be disappointed.
The one who plants a tree
looks at the world through eyes
which see tomorrow, not today
Denise4bOnt

Postby murphy » Apr 06, 2008 3:53 pm

here is my try at answering.

I don't have a special filter on my pump and the fish and pump seem to do just fine. You need three types of plants ...and aerator...hornworth is commonly used...nice lilly for blooms...and some floaters like Hyacinths, or water lettuce (prone to aphids). You can do marginal plantings too...such as iris and papyrus. A pond can be as simple or elaborate as you want. I find it is best to plan that at least half the pond to two thirds of the surface area is covered as it helps keep algae down. An algae bloom in the spring is to be expected and won't hurt the fish or plants..it will naturally balance out as the water becomes more shaded with your floaters and lilies. Do not change the water during a algae bloom it will possibly shock the fish and plants...and it WILL make the algae worse. A nice addition to a pond is a bog garden which you can create by running the liner up past the pond and covering it with about six inches of dirt....lots and lots of fun things you can plant in a bog. Have fun..don't stress and don't fuss too much over anything and it will be fine. The best way I find to plant the plants is to layer some fine fish tank gravel on the bottom of your pond and direct plant the lillies...used to be they were in baskets placed in the bottom...but I see more and more ponds being done with the plants being directly planted. I never drain my pond....clean it or fuss....nature has a way of striking a balance.
murphy

Postby Olivia zone 6 » Apr 06, 2008 8:20 pm

Oh Denise lucky you! IfI had one thing to do over with my pond it would be to make it bigger! Yes it's already 3,000 gallons, but so much fun that I wish it were 5,000. Everything Murphy said is true. don't fret too much, just read and experiment! I have goldfish that I bought 5 years ago for 20 cents a fish! Theyare still living with me and some of their offspring as well. I have 4 Koi and the oldest one (my 50th birthday prezzie from my GF) is over 14 inches long. There is enough ice off the pond that today I saw my fishies for the first time since December. They are all alive and well. I can hardly wait to see if the froggies I introduced last year come back to have babies. I just have to find a way to keep the koi and goldfish from eating the tadpole babies. Any ideas? Enjoy, enjoy enjoy, I know you will! Olivia
Olivia
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but, how to dance in the rain."
Olivia zone 6

Garden Ponds

Postby Denise4bOnt » Apr 07, 2008 10:56 am

Thanks for all the input, I have been reading everything I can get my hands on regarding ponds, I must have a dozen library books here too.

Olivia, what are the approximate size of your pond?? The hole hubby dug for me is about 9feet across and I want it to gradually go from 3 feet deep all the way to just a rocky beach sort of thing. So the liner a bought is 15' x 20'

Olivia, do you use a filter?? I picked up a pump because I plan on having a small waterfall made from the soil hubby dug out of the hole, now I'm wondering if I also need to get a filter.
The one who plants a tree
looks at the world through eyes
which see tomorrow, not today
Denise4bOnt

Postby Olivia zone 6 » Apr 07, 2008 1:26 pm

My pond is approx 10 x 14 x 6 in a heart shape (that was accidental but I really like it) At the deepest it is 4 ft and then there is a shelf at the 3 ft mark and another at the two ft mark. The shallowest part is about 1 ft deep. We have flagstone around the edges and beach rock in between. The dirt that hubby dug out was used for a water fall and we have an above ground filter system that ties right into the waterfall. It works really well. I will have to get out the information about the pond if you want to know more. Don't recall what company makes it! Let me know. I love my pond! Here's another pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/h ... 404002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/h ... 404001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/h ... e9898c.jpg
Olivia
Olivia zone 6

Postby murphy » Apr 07, 2008 3:42 pm

has anybody else grown their Cana lilies in their pond...I have the past four years and they do really really well. I have for the past two years placed potted Canas tubs of water in other parts of the garden and they seem to do much better this way...and I don't have to remember to water these thirsty plants during dry spells.
murphy

Postby Olivia zone 6 » Apr 07, 2008 3:59 pm

Oh yes, I pot up the callas and the cannas and put them onto the first shelf in the pond. They really do like a lot of water and they bloom well and grow well too! In the fall I just haul out the pots and let them dry out. The cannas I will take out of the pots and pare down some of the roots cause they will fill the whole pot by summers end. Divide and repot, put into the basement until the next growing season. It's a lot less work this way! O
Olivia
Olivia zone 6

Postby Paul zone5 » Apr 07, 2008 9:30 pm

We don't have a pond yet, but are thinking of converting the pool to pond. Has anyone ever done this?

An interesting filter solution is to pump the water into a marsh area and let it drain back into the pond. I've read about this, but it sounds like a good way of having different types of plants as well as cleaning the water.

Some municipalities are using marshes to clean the sewage water.
Just north of Toronto
Paul zone5

Postby c robbins » Apr 07, 2008 10:40 pm

[size=18]this is my pond i did last spring .i have posted back then but read you also wanted a beach edge so thought you might like to see it again .my garandson picked some "special " rocks at the shore for it .my only advice would be to use some type of stones along the other edges and bring the liner up behind them so the liner isn't visible .makes for a more natural look and protects the liner from sun damage .[/size]
Attachments
new pond 04-2007 050.jpg
c robbins

Next

Return to Plant Talk